California

So I recently dug out an old DMG-04 and decided to wire it to a keyboard. Reading a bit online, I realized that you can just swap pin 2 to the pin 1 location and still receive power. Unfortunately, I forgot what each wire leads to, and I also am clueless to what the keyboard ps2 leads are. So far, I know that the orange wire on the DMG-04 is the 5V power. That's about it. The colors of the keyboard wire are Red, brown, gray, and yellow. It's an HP keyboard, no specific model name, and there is no markings on the logic board to indicate the function of each wire. I'd love some help if you can. I currently don't own a working multimeter, so I can't test points, and if possible I don't want to rip open the housing of the link cable. If no one knows the wires on the ps2 keyboard, I can probably just open the plug and look at where the wires are routed. I can also post pictures if needed. Thanks!

Last edited by Kuesa (Mar 9, 2016 3:46 am)

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:15 am)

Ardèche, France

Why not use a multimeter in a I/0 mode and test the wires for each pin of the PS2 outlet. I've done it and write on a sheet which color is what, and it worked well!

California

Thanks, however I have already switched the pins based on the DMG-07 layout, no multimeter necessary. I'll probably end up opening the housing of both cables and determine the wire order.

France

On site i saw that it couldn't work with dmg-04 because of the power. Only dmg-07 should work. Does it true? I cuted today also a dmg-04... I must stop it and buy a dmg-07?

NUMBSKULL

There's only like 4 wires right? I'd just hook them up random until it works. GND and PWR should be pretty easy to determine because the caps lock lights should turn on, right?

NUMBSKULL

There's only like 4 wires right? I'd just hook them up random until it works. GND and PWR should be pretty easy to determine because the caps lock lights should turn on, right?

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:15 am)

California
Apeshit wrote:
Kuesa wrote:

Thanks, however I have already switched the pins based on the DMG-07 layout, no multimeter necessary.

A multimeter would allow you to determine the PS/2 pinout.

You're right; the problem is that my current multimeter is broken sad

catskull wrote:

I ended up opening the DMG-04 and PS/2 housing(Holy shit the ps2 is like... cemented in, I had to carve my way into it) and matching the wires to eachother that way.

Maz'Hoot wrote:

On site i saw that it couldn't work with dmg-04 because of the power. Only dmg-07 should work. Does it true? I cuted today also a dmg-04... I must stop it and buy a dmg-07?

The issue with the DMG-04 is that the pins inside the housing are in different locations. If you look at the cable, you'll notice that there are six pin slots, but only four of them are used. On the DMG-04, there is a pin used for Serial/Data Out, which is not used by the keyboard. On the DMG-07, there is no pin located where Serial/Data Out. Both the DMG-04 and the DMG-07 use 4 pins. I simply cut into and disassembled the housing, pulled the pin from Serial/Data out and placed it in the empty slot that is used for power.

I tested it, and it works. This is going to be used for a future project, and there will be a different thread for that. Thanks for your help everyone!