UK

Hey, I know questions like these get asked all the time and I spent a few hours googling the answer (i might be terrible at googling though) so here it is:

I bought a lowtoy arduinoboy (See photo) and found the manual here http://www.lowtoy.com/shop/arduinoboy/Docu_EN_v2.pdf
I got a DMG link cable (I have a dmg 01, but the cable says DMG 04) but I am under the understanding that this should be fine, or if not i can just change the wires around. Connected blue to ground, green to A0, orange to A1 and red to A2 (See photo) following a diagram i found on google. I know I have flashed the arduino uno properly because when powered on it lights up in the expected pattern of green lights and the button works.

Unfortunately when connected to my DMG it activates the screen backlight while turned off, and when i turn it on i get lsdj freezing, and sometimes it just goes into live mode on its own and starts playing like their is a ghost in the room. Im guessing ive put the pins in the wrong wholes

Thought I'd see if you guys could educate me before i accidently kill my dmg

Cheers

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 16, 2019 11:56 pm)

NUMBSKULL

Make sure you have the sync mode set up before you plug in the arduinoboy, on both the arduinoboy and the gameboy. What mode are you trying to use?

UK

Thats right, im powering the arduinoboy via usb as the dmg-04 cable only has 4 wires. The manual doesnt mention cables its just for doing a DIY arduino board, I just posted it incase someone noticed anything odd about the arduinoboy i am using

Glad to hear zombie backlight is normal. So Im guessing im just connected the wrong wires to the wrong pines on arduinoboy?

UK

I am just trying keyboard mode for now using my oxygen v8 keyboard, ive tried cycling through a few midi channels. is this possible?

NUMBSKULL

Man...I'm trying to remember how the PS/2 mode works. For one keyboard mode on LSDJ is a little wonky... set the sync mode, then go into and empty phrase and try playing notes. Try on MIDI channel one. When I get home I can double check it for you!

PS nice PSP! Did you put that shell on yourself?

UK

I'll try that tonight. And yeah thanks man, its not LED modded (my fingers are way too stubby to solder SMD components to fit in a psp slim) but i did put it in the case, gotten pretty good at re-housing psp's now

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 16, 2019 11:51 pm)

UK

Apeshit:
I used this guide:

Do you reckon I just need to swap red an orange around?

Catskull:

NUMBSKULL

Justin Thursday made a useful diagram and posted it here: http://chipmusic.org/forums/post/225390/#p225390

So yeah, I'd swap red and orange and see what happens! They are serial in/serial out, so depending on which side of the cable you use it will vary.

Apeshit, what errors do you see on the arduinoboy schematic?

Tearauth, how do you find the quality? I re-shelled two 1000's and the quality was not great. seems like R and L are finicky?

Naptown

LSDJ Keyboard mode on arduinoboy works on MIDI Channel 16 unless you change it in the source code

UK

Thanks for your input guys. I tried swapping red and orange around. I still get nothing coming from the gameboy when I use the keyboard, but im not getting anymore strange behaviour on the gameboy either so that may mean this is correct. (unless someone is going to tell me strange stuff is meant to happen). Could the problem be that im using a musical keyboard and not a ps2? I'll check that there isnt something wrong with my midi cable too.

UK

Tearauth, how do you find the quality? I re-shelled two 1000's and the quality was not great. seems like R and L are finicky?

just ebay, and some good luck. had the shoulder problem before tooo