East Coast USA

So lately, I've been very interested in chip instruments mimicking the sound and functions of analog synthesizers. I love the sound of the Mssiah cart's "analog" synth, but I don't feel like buying a C64 just for that.
If anyone knows of a synth like that for Gameboy or GBA, I'd love to know about it.

V command wink

The reason the c64 sounds analog is because the filters are analog.. Ish.

Unsubscribe

Get lsdj midi out working with one of these:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/02/o … -hardware/

East Coast USA
herr_prof wrote:

Get lsdj midi out working with one of these:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/02/o … -hardware/

Well like I said, I'm trying to avoid buying any hardware. Space and money are pretty tight, so I'd like to work with what equipment I already have. I'd love to get something like gb-303 with a wavetable based filter.

East Coast USA

I've only messed around with LSDJ for a little bit on an emulator, but I know the synth instrument has a filter. Is there a way to asign an envelope to it? The main sound I'm looking for is short bass tones with quick filter evelopes.

Glasgow, Scotland.
Dolby-Z wrote:

I've only messed around with LSDJ for a little bit on an emulator, but I know the synth instrument has a filter. Is there a way to asign an envelope to it? The main sound I'm looking for is short bass tones with quick filter evelopes.

I might be misunderstanding, so forgive me, but you can assign an envelope to any of the instruments in LSDJ.

Page 42 of the manual explains it. It's the 'E' command:

http://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/latest … _3_7_4.pdf

Sweeeeeeden
unexpectedbowtie wrote:

I might be misunderstanding, so forgive me, but you can assign an envelope to any of the instruments in LSDJ.

That's an amplitude envelope, not a filter envelope.

Naptown
Dolby-Z wrote:

the closest you can get is by setting the synth start cutoff low and end cutoff high with a low instrument speed value (meaning it cycles quickly through the wave frames). this may introduce some artifacts to the sound though. the other option would be setting a table to quickly switch between frames. you might have a look at the LSDJ slap bass thread for some other ideas too.

Last edited by urbster1 (Apr 19, 2016 2:01 pm)

Glasgow, Scotland.
nitro2k01 wrote:
unexpectedbowtie wrote:

That's an amplitude envelope, not a filter envelope.

Damn, so it is. That's what I get for posting right after waking up...

East Coast USA

Ok so I messed around with the "S" channel in Nanoloop 2 for GBA, and got a sound I like. The pulse wave in Nanoloop 2 has A really unique sounding filter, and you can modulate the filter cutoff in channel "S" leading to a really cool bass sound. No resonance tho, which is kind of a bummer, but the filter does sound really cool regardless.

East Coast USA

I might post a demo on YouTube later this week if I get around to it

rochester, ny
Dolby-Z wrote:

So lately, I've been very interested in chip instruments mimicking the sound and functions of analog synthesizers.

that's pretty broad, there are hundreds of analog synths that make a really wide variety of sound.

you mention the filter on the synth screen. you can definitely use that to make a lot of creative sounds. but it's never going to sound like a moog low pass filter.

a lot of people use LSDJ to emulate other things and then end up with a completely new sound. experiment with the synth screen, the waves, the wav instrument screen, and tables. you'll find a ton of interesting sounds.

Melbourne
Dolby-Z wrote:

Ok so I messed around with the "S" channel in Nanoloop 2 for GBA, and got a sound I like. The pulse wave in Nanoloop 2 has A really unique sounding filter, and you can modulate the filter cutoff in channel "S" leading to a really cool bass sound. No resonance tho, which is kind of a bummer, but the filter does sound really cool regardless.

Yeah, I was going to post in here about nanoloop 2. The filters and the way it overdrives when too many loud sounds are playing at once sounds almost analog to my ears.

Lake Titicaca
Timbob wrote:

V command wink

Forgive me if I'm mistaken but isn't the V command 'vibrato'? (ie. applying an LFO to pitch).

That 'biscuit hardware looks pretty nice...I'm pretty sure you would love the bytebeat synth in caustic android, called '8bitsynth'...If you like Rob Hubbards sound design techniques then this caustic 8bitsynth is for you.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4K9C3OBCDDc

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Apr 20, 2016 9:13 am)

Lake Titicaca

also, sunvox 'analogue synth' module! sunvox 'filter pro module'!

I really feel like people get stuck on gameboy for too long...there are other great trackers out there. I dont understand why everyone is sleeping on sunvox...I guess it just looks intimidating, but actually if you can use LSDJ then learning sunvox will be easy (rtfm).

Last edited by JaffaCakeMexica (Apr 20, 2016 9:16 am)

Lake Titicaca

sorry, triple post....I know some of you think that android software is not l33t enough for you but Gstomper-VA beast is a frickin sweet mobile analogue synth emulation with a decent sequencer.