I've only worked with lsdj on my handhelds. I've had a real itch to try out nanoloop, and was wondering if the iOS version can give me an accurate assessment of the way it works. I know it's cheap and worth it and I'll likely get the app either way, I'm just unsure if I should judge the other versions on this one.

IL, US

the iOS/android versions of nanoloop aren't that similar to the game boy versions, you should just try out the demo roms from the nanoloop site for whichever version(s) you're considering

Unsubscribe

I think its a fair judge of the sequencing enviroment at least.

The Forest, WA

Your gunna fucking love the cart version m8

The Forest, WA

!

Last edited by GLOOMS (Jul 19, 2016 4:41 pm)

West Yorks, UK

No, not at all, 1x and 2x are much much nicer to use... Except nl1.1/1.2 and nl 2.01/2.1

The Forest, WA

Yeah its a lot easier to make changes to your sounds in nl 2.x I would consider getting the newest version there's a pre-order on nanoloop.de. also there's a lot of sounds I make in nl 2.x that I can't make in nl for ios/android . Like synthesized PWM chords or fm chords or arpeggios ... I ffriggen love chords

Earth

The composing experience is quite similar. There are no instruments in the game boy version  though. Just channels and notes and parameter changes.

The Forest, WA

What do you mean there are no instruments . Like no samples?. Any synth / drum / noise you make on the gameboy is considered an instrument in my book...

france

The 2.7 version on gba is really deep, and IMHO, it's the best out there. It's the right version for me.
Plock, huge different sound, chord, fm, a really grzat and interesting filter, midi and pulse sync.
It's the handled elektron sfx60.
You have to go on the last update of 2.7, the best one.
I love it.

IOS, and Android are cool, but... it is not the same as gba, they have IMHO less personality. It sound different.
It could be improved, with chord, bpm divider, and sync in out via midi ( on my old apple it doesn't work ).
They are really good, they have Plock too and a sampler.
The sampler is not as good as lgpt, a different universe, really interesting by it's limitation and mic input smile
Mic input on a sampler is fun smile

1.x version are restricted by game boy sound chip, you like or you hate. I love the wave and noise channel on gb. I hate the pulse whis is.... not so great, it's the soundchip which is IMHO not so interesting, like the nes miles from a c64 or a genesis sound chip.
lsdj do better on pulse. But pulse channel on gb...

It's only my personal taste

Last edited by yoyz2k (Jul 19, 2016 6:41 pm)

IL, US
Domu wrote:

No, not at all, 1x and 2x are much much nicer to use... Except nl1.1/1.2 and nl 2.01/2.1

nothing bad about using 1.1 or 1.2 really, just one fewer channel and some things work differently than newer 1.x versions.... dealing with their batteries was a pain in the ass though

The Forest, WA

Yeah no nanoloop 1 bashing in any threads allowed ! Nl 1.3 will destroy your will to live an honest life .

Earth
GLOOMS wrote:

What do you mean there are no instruments . Like no samples?. Any synth / drum / noise you make on the gameboy is considered an instrument in my book...

[Am speaking off 1.x game boy version]

Well, no you can't use samples. But What I mean is that in the iOS version, each channel has  its own instrument settings that don't change. You can just plonk down notes and get the same sound over and over. LSDJ had the idea of instruments at its core, as well. In the game boy version nanoloop, you create kick drums by fiddling with the pitch settings in the pulse channel's sequencer. It's just a different way of working.

The Forest, WA

Ah I get what your saying . Yeah now I agree that there are no instruments in nl 2 . No saveable patches . Just copy / paste lol

I'd say no.
A touchscreen just can't provide a similar experience. Allthough you literally touch things on iPhone, pushing Game Boy buttons is so much more immersive.

Sequencer step control is one-dimensional on iOS, with continuous fading, while it's two-dimensional with discrete steps on Game Boy. The latter is more comfortable, it provides the feeling of "grip" that is typical for nanoloop and can't be ported to iOS.

And "step pause", a very useful feature introduced in 1.7 / 2.7 is currently missing on iOS.

Glasgow, Scotland.

I found the iOS version way easier to use than the Game Boy version, but I have no real idea why.