Wheeling, WV

...leboxes?

I just finished a shitty prototype for a cracklebox.

Would anybody be interested in me making one for them?

How much would you pay for one of these bad boys?

Last edited by hotmessization (Jul 15, 2010 1:25 am)

Liverpool, UK

examples, then we can discuss pricing wink

matt's mind

i have one of the steim crackles.  pretty fun.

i'd be interested.  i love those little buggers....

very fun with multiple people. 

PM if you've got more details.  smile

Wheeling, WV

Mine's pretty different from the Steim (original) one. More made-with-home-material. There are two things to keep in mind with this fact.

1. It will be significantly larger.
2. It will be significantly cheaper.

Also, it should be noted that because I'll be using mostly household things, every cracklebox will be completely unique as far as the housing and touch points go. My personal one that I made today is made in a cigar box and uses brass furniture knobs for the touch points.

I'll make a video of mine tomorrow.

The reason why I ask who is interested is the fact that the 709 chip is extremely obsolete, and I don't see myself buying any more unless I pay in bulk.

Also, I still need to contact Waisvisz to make sure he's okay with this idea first.

Last edited by hotmessization (Jul 15, 2010 7:40 am)

NorthTtrrrway

You could also make kits.
this way the price (and shipping) can drop even more and each one can pick for their own housing, touch points and speaker.

Corpus Christi, Texas

I'll know if I'm interested after I see you video.
:3

A gray world of dread

Weird litte toy. I'm not too much of a fan of completely random bent noise, but could be interesting if the circuit could be modifed to quantize to selectable notes + beat clock.

Also:

Wheeling, WV
µB wrote:

could be interesting if the circuit could be modifed to quantize to selectable notes + beat clock.

This is a great idea, but I'm pretty sure that it is impossible.

The thing about it is that the circuit is completed by the person touching it. I let my friend play around with mine, and he had completely different results from me. I've played with it in different locations and had different results based solely on my position and posture. In other words, me sitting in my car gave different sounds from some points than me lying in my bed.

The randomness and unpredictability of this is what makes it great in my opinion.

New York City

Hey I entered this thread looking for crack.

Westfield, NJ
µB wrote:

Weird litte toy. I'm not too much of a fan of completely random bent noise, but could be interesting if the circuit could be modifed to quantize to selectable notes + beat clock.

Yeah sure, but it's way easier to just record a lot of noise, and then sample it to death to get stuff that fits into the BPM you want.

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐
akira^8GB wrote:

are we supposed to be surprised?

Wheeling, WV
akira^8GB wrote:

What can I say? It's marketing.

Remember when I almost got you to buy Joan of Arc's remains because the ad said "2 kg of heroin"?

New York City
hotmessization wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

What can I say? It's marketing.

Remember when I almost got you to buy Joan of Arc's remains because the ad said "2 kg of heroin"?

The sample hit me HARD man.