DUBCRT is finally released on DataDoor records - details!

It’s finally out! DUBCRT is a music album, interactive light synthesizer and remix-gadget released as a Commodore 64 cartridge. It holds 8 songs by Goto80 with inter-reactive PETSCII-visuals coded by 4mat, with graphics made by iLKke. Get it on Bandcamp!

The hardware cart unfortunately sold out in 2 hours (!) but the audio version is still available - and a fresh batch of cartridges will appear later in the year smile

Bandcamp - https://datadoor.bandcamp.com/album/dubcrt
Goto80 DUBCRT defMON jam - https://youtu.be/qUe0_FTSz30




Sold out!
PAL only!

It's PAL only because tweaking it for NTSC would likely result in the music and visuals playing differently. (fractional timing on a vblank player that can run 5x a frame and uses incredibly precise waveform changes in the instruments, coupled with visuals tied to sid reads running on a free timer)

As the music is the main focus I decided to leave it as it was.    I'll be interested if anyone 'cracks' it and does an NTSC patch though.

Last edited by 4mat (Aug 23, 2016 7:19 pm)

Okay... So it looks like I've missed the opportunity to get my hands on the CRT release. To whom may I sell my soul and my car and my house to even get the chance of receiving burnable .crt or maybe even some beta/author-side real DUBCRTs? Anders80? iLKKe? Four-mat? Baby Jesus?

A new batch is now available via Shareware+ - email to order one is linked here - http://datadoor.net/dubcrt/

Was excited to grab this, then read about it being PAL-only. sad

Does it play on an NTSC machine at all?

Even if it did run it wouldn't give you the same output.  As described above it's a PAL only release.

Just in denial, that's all.

What the heck does that even mean?  It's not just changing some colours on the vblank mate, there is a lot of very cycle-specific stuff going on between the code, the music and the sid reads.

4mat wrote:

What the heck does that even mean?  It's not just changing some colours on the vblank mate, there is a lot of very cycle-specific stuff going on between the code, the music and the sid reads.

He's saying HE is in denial, not you guys. Basically he's just saying he really wants a cart and thinks the whole thing is super cool (as do I) so responding that way comes across kind of mean IMO.

Gonna have to region switch one of my C's.

catskull wrote:
4mat wrote:

What the heck does that even mean?  It's not just changing some colours on the vblank mate, there is a lot of very cycle-specific stuff going on between the code, the music and the sid reads.

He's saying HE is in denial, not you guys. Basically he's just saying he really wants a cart and thinks the whole thing is super cool (as do I) so responding that way comes across kind of mean IMO.

Basically what catskull said.

Well sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, but that's not how it read.

Jazzmarazz wrote:

Gonna have to region switch one of my C's.

That's not a thing, the C64 is not a console.
You cannot switch between "regions".  And to convert an NTSC C64 to PAL you need, besides changing the video crystal, to get a new PAL VIC chip. And maybe then that's not just all you need to do. Definitely you cannot switch between the two.

Just get a PAL C64 like everyone else.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Apr 19, 2017 9:56 pm)

In testing I did run it many times in VICE NTSC mode and it does indeed function (also DDI who designed the PCB tested it in the states on NTSC) - but as 4mat mentioned the output is totally altered, and all of Goto80's SID tunes are warped both in speed and output - so the whole dynamic and vibe of the cart is lost sad

akira^8GB wrote:
Jazzmarazz wrote:

Gonna have to region switch one of my C's.

That's not a thing, the C64 is not a console.
You cannot switch between "regions".  And to convert an NTSC C64 to PAL you need, besides changing the video crystal, to get a new PAL VIC chip. And maybe then that's not just all you need to do. Definitely you cannot switch between the two.

Just get a PAL C64 like everyone else.

The new C64 Reloaded MK2 from iComp (Individual Computers) is coming this year. As with MK1 it can easily be altered from PAL to NTSC and vice versa. Of course you'll still need a suitable VIC-II. MK1 also needs an original 8701 for this and setting jumpes on the mainboard accordingly for PAL/NTSC.

This seems to be even easier with MK2 that is said to auto-configure the mainboard according to the chips used. So if you can afford to spend the money this might be a good choice.


But what about DubCRT? Does anybody already know how to reach the secret part(s) of it? I couldn't figure it out. sad

Last edited by trb (Oct 10, 2017 6:57 pm)