Dundee, Scotland

Hello All,

I just got an EMS cart to use with LSDJ. I've been after one of these for a long time, so yay!

I'm using an old CGB with LSDJ 4.7.3 on alkaline AAs. The speaker's currently busted - I'm waiting for a replacement and using earphones in the meantime - and probably afterwards, but I'd like a whole Gameboy wink

It's reasonably quiet and as expected at the "gameboy" screen, but using the cart is a different matter. Whenever something is animating, such as the "Welcome to LSDJ" message on boot, or whenever I press a key, the noise increases. With the key presses, it's a burst of noise. With any animation, it's the same kinda sound continuously until it idles.

While playing music, it's pretty well behaved. I can certainly work with it, I've got a lot of learning to do before I would consider upgrading cart or console.

The increased noise in using an EMS cart appears to be widely reported, but I'm wondering if the extra noise described above is typical?

Thanks muchly in advance,

EU

Abandoned on Fire

Yes, that's expected with gameboy color (the cart doesn't effect the noise much). Like you said when lsdj is playing the noise goes away so it's just a minor annoyance when composing.

PS: you'll see a lot of mentions of "prosound mod" on here and it's definitely worth looking into latter on if you decide you enjoy using lsdj, it'll eliminate the noise but you'll need a headphone amp to use anything other than earbuds

Dundee, Scotland

Thanks for reply egr. Good to know it's as expected smile

All the best,

EU

Last edited by Electric_Ungulate (Oct 16, 2016 7:53 pm)

Granada, Spain

Embrace the noise

Dundee, Scotland

Good advice smile

Taichung, Taiwan

Noise Reduction Mod for the GBC should help.

Dundee, Scotland

Thanks katsumbhong! That looks like a good first mod!!

Toronto, Canada
egr wrote:

it'll eliminate the noise but you'll need a headphone amp to use anything other than earbuds

When I prosound mine, the internal speaker still works fine for me