Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Recently uploaded this video:  http://bit.ly/bnGdB1

It's me using a GH guitar in a...creative way.

Anyone else have an experience using one - or Rock Band drums, or whatever else - as midi controllers or performance tools?  Any suggestions as to new ways to do so?

Share your thoughts!

Iceland

Iceland

Oops, forgot to write something. I wrote my own software to convert the Guitar Hero button presses into midi... it has various modes, but the one in the second video is the best. The video pretty much describes what is going on, but I select the scale in the software, which then sends the notes to Ableton. I think it is using a binary scale type thing for the button presses.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

Mah boy Dot.AY shreds on the wii-tar and DDR mat. He has also rocked a ps2 controller in the past.

Cannot find any vids of anything other than the wiimote and ps2 controller.

Keep in mind this video is 3 years old.

This was hit first gig 3 years ago.

Liverpool, UK

sick Time Crisis 4 t-shirt, do want!

Newcastle, UK

Yay Combat Dave is back.

I used my GH controllers with this little program called Fret Buzz, was pretty good to jam with, wouldn't fancy breaking it out live though, rather just tape a midi controller to my actual guitar or something.

Italy

great project! Finally an intelligent use of those plastic guitars! Isn't it a bit limiting to have only a handful of buttons?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
rumpelfilter wrote:

great project! Finally an intelligent use of those plastic guitars! Isn't it a bit limiting to have only a handful of buttons?

It can be, but you can get pretty creative with how to use the guitar.  It does also have a two-axis tilt sensor that could be used for controller effects, filters, scales, etc.  It's more difficult if you want to use it as a fully featured perfrmance tool, but you can do a lot if you just want to add something interesting to your songs or performances.

rochester, ny

when i used a guitar hero guitar, here's how i did it.

i was using reason 4 and junxion to set the guitar to control various midi stuff. i set the pick thing to play a C3. when it hit the C3, it would trigger 5 different samples of chords, but they were all muted. so, if i were to just strum it, nothing would happen.

each of the buttons on the neck were set to unmute a different sample. so, if i pressed one down and strummed, it would only play that sample.

it felt just like strumming a real guitar. the whammy bar was set to pitch bend, obv. other buttons let me cycle through different sets of samples (acoustic guitar chords, synth chords, single notes, etc.).

mine had a slider control on the neck that i set to control some delay effects.

it was really fun and i liked my set up a lot more than some people i've seen online who set it so the buttons are what play the notes. i like having use my left and right hands together to make the sounds. it's much more intuitive that way for a guitar player.

Tacoma WA
jefftheworld wrote:
rumpelfilter wrote:

It can be, but you can get pretty creative with how to use the guitar.  It does also have a two-axis tilt sensor that could be used for controller effects, filters, scales, etc.  It's more difficult if you want to use it as a fully featured perfrmance tool, but you can do a lot if you just want to add something interesting to your songs or performances.

i liked this one

http://www.onetonnemusic.com/mt-static/ … o_con.html

the guitar zero guys are tops though

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2008/06/0 … nths-more/

http://theguitarzeros.com/use_guitar_he … rument.php

"Fretbuzz" is the name of our software, written in the Max/MSP
programming environment.  Max/MSP makes it easy to read the button
states of joystick controllers, and then make sounds in response to
various button combinations. The 5 "fret" buttons can certainly
represent more than just 5 sounds: there are 32 combinations of those
buttons that can be used however you like.   Fretbuzz assigns the
first 4 buttons to represent 16 different pitches in a particular key,
with the 5th button reserved for arbitrary purposes like pitch
transposition, for example.  Finally, the flipper is used to trigger
the sound, much like a guitarist's plectrum plucks the strings.
Further signals from the start/select buttons and tilt-sensors can be
interpreted to varied musical effect.