oklahoma

I've been a musician of some type for awhile. I like the expressive and discovery aspects of it. I have been playing chip type stuff for a little bit. I just want to thank everyone for cutting down the jungle and laying down this road and the continued work done on it so it doesn't crumble away and fade back to jungle. We're all very lucky to stumble into this and find it fully formed and available for the taking. So thanks for being there and for adding your energy/time/life for this to be something we can all share in...or not.
And I just read the link in the last post on that Sneven tracker thread. Pretty inspiring shit. I've been interested in learning the programming side of this, so I guess I should get serious with C++.

Boise, ID
oscillating wrote:

I've been a musician of some type for awhile. I like the expressive and discovery aspects of it. I have been playing chip type stuff for a little bit. I just want to thank everyone for cutting down the jungle and laying down this road and the continued work done on it so it doesn't crumble away and fade back to jungle. We're all very lucky to stumble into this and find it fully formed and available for the taking. So thanks for being there and for adding your energy/time/life for this to be something we can all share in...or not.

Yes! big_smile

That's been great.

London, UK

This is nice to read.

From a newbie's perspective (i.e. mine) it seems though that chiptune's heydey was about 2010-13. From then it's just died out. The number of broken links that are 'go-to sources' is insane and most forum posts seem from that time (across all boards). So some 're-cultivation' might be needed in order for the jungle to not creep back in (nice and poignant analogy OP).

Is it just me or is that a fair account? interested to hear other's viewpoints.

Melbourne, Australia

Well, I think there's a lot of really good music still being made

oklahoma

I'm sure there are those who would argue that the golden age of chiptune was 1989. It came around full circle around 2010 and perhaps completes another cycle around now? Time will tell.  Every conciousness node has the potential for discovery. Even if the idea is ancient, it's new to you, and very, very exciting. And then, there's the cultural phenomena of recycling fashion/music of previous generations. The story has essentially remained the same since that first monkey discovered that rhythm existed around it, and banged it out into the air with sticks and rocks. (Later, one pretended to own the rhythm and charge bits of meat and seed and shiny rocks to any other monkey who discovered that there was rhythm.) But you have the chance now to improvise your part within the main progression, started on a groove sooo long ago. Have fun!

Virginia, US

"Even if the idea is ancient, it's new to you, and very, very exciting..."   -oscillating

this

Brunswick, GA USA

To me, the best was between 2002 and 2010, but it's all a matter of perspective. I decided to share music too hoping it would be a time capsule for people to find.

Last edited by chunter (Jan 20, 2017 8:56 pm)

England

chipmusic is dead, etc...

must be time for another compilation :p

Abandoned on Fire
Jellica wrote:

chipmusic is dead, etc...

must be time for another compilation tongue

CMO-sponsored compilations might actually be an interesting thing to do now. Like one every 6 months or something with source code included and etc etc.

There's always going to be somebody doing this stuff, but a lot of scenes or individuals either don't know or aren't interested in the 'chipscene'.  That's fair enough.  Case in point would be the C64 demoscene, where there are plenty of music uploads every month but very little crossover here. (as with the tracking scene people just never stopped since the '80s)   If we keep looking for this stuff in the same places then yeah it's going to look like it's on the way out.