IL, US

ok, well what i mean is this leaves out things you can do with the real hardware even (for example, intentionally making LSDJ choke on tables, since youd probably need it to be played back on the same model you wrote on to achieve the same sound due to different processor speeds and a GB emulator would play that back fine as it has access to way more power)...
plus youre drastically limiting how experimental people can be with this...but, go for it i guess?
sorry im a bit grumpy, just the comment about 23,000+ netlabels on archive.org rubbed me the wrong way, you know?
i mean, how can anyone be "worried" about a netlabel on archive.org anyway? ..i mean, i host pretty much all my releases myself, and have for years

Here are three examples of NES stuff I just did, pure NES programs written and compiled with NESASM, each file is 16 KB, no graphics or anything, just music:

ftp://ftp.untergrund.net/users/pxtr/netlabel/nesex1.nes
ftp://ftp.untergrund.net/users/pxtr/netlabel/nesex2.nes
ftp://ftp.untergrund.net/users/pxtr/netlabel/nesex3.nes

All pieces are made same way, I write stuff to NES's APU (Audio Processing Unit) registers, in these examples only to Square1 ($4000-$4003) and noise channel ($400C-$400F, VBlanks are used for timing. Very simple but still there are endless amount of possibilites for these. Play with any NES-emulator, I use FCEU. I also use these kind of examples as raw material for VST's, reverbs, delays but that's different thing, I just want these registers dumped to some playable format, nothing else, there are a lot of netlabels who like to work with MP3/OGG/WAV/VST's, this netlabel will focus to noisy experimental raw 8-bit or less material.

Hope this helps !

-p

Last edited by pXtR (Jul 23, 2010 12:51 pm)

e.s.c. wrote:

ok, well what i mean is this leaves out things you can do with the real hardware even (for example, intentionally making LSDJ choke on tables, since youd probably need it to be played back on the same model you wrote on to achieve the same sound due to different processor speeds and a GB emulator would play that back fine as it has access to way more power)...
plus youre drastically limiting how experimental people can be with this...but, go for it i guess?
sorry im a bit grumpy, just the comment about 23,000+ netlabels on archive.org rubbed me the wrong way, you know?
i mean, how can anyone be "worried" about a netlabel on archive.org anyway? ..i mean, i host pretty much all my releases myself, and have for years

Well, I really thought you're worried that there are no other noise-related or focused netlabels, that's why I checked archive.org. Yes, some or many hardware-related things would be excluded, I know, that bothered (and still bothers) me, but to focus something I must leave some things out, there are no other possibilities. Also, like in your LSDJ-example you mentioned I would imagine that for instance BGB would make things quite same way as real hardware, it seems quite accurate and 'picky', I always check my GB programs first with it (written with GBDK or GBASM or TASM or GBBASIC), in exactly 100% of cases if BGB do not play, then it doesn't work in real hardware, and if it works in BGB, then it works in real hardware too. That's of course only with my own stuff, other people might have different experiences.

-p

Spokompton
akira^8GB wrote:

Oh, nice, a label just for tunes done by Eddie Svärd.

This post confuses me, but I effin' love Eddie Svärd's stuff. Actually if it weren't for his SIDs ("Blizzy", "Cancer" "Severed") I probably would have been sick of chip stuff a long time ago.

'Official' announcement will follow soon in the new topic !

-p