arfink wrote:

I for one applaud you pXtR. This looks like a quite worthwhile project and very cool from a conceptual standpoint. Also, as someone who lives with the reality of a slow internet connection, keeping it down to modules and such is very cool. Also, props to ant1 for hitting the nail on the head!

Thanks arfink, exactly right point, this is more conceptual, emulating the old times, and in yours and many other case also reality when having a slow internet connections.

Tiny files, big noisy music !

-p

New York City
ant1 wrote:

Random negativity galore! Is there anything wrong with doing things just for the hell of it? sad

Fucking hell man, people here are extremely sensitive. We're discussing technicalities of the label with the label owner. Now go back to the sandbox! tongue

pXtR wrote:

I listen the sounds of the chip, then I search technical documents, start writing stuff to registers, study it, days, weeks, years, return it later, and again and again. I always find something new, some combination I didn't notice last time. For me that's composing with chips. When I understand how the chip works, I know exactly what the tracker (which is emulator of the chip) does (although I don't use much trackers, I'm traditionally educated composer, I simply can't read music top-down, only left-right direction. That's amusing, at least for me).

You are a dying breed. Round of applause for someone with the right attitude.

A small promotion !!! wink http://woolyss.com/chipmusic-netlabels.php

akira^8GB wrote:
ant1 wrote:

Random negativity galore! Is there anything wrong with doing things just for the hell of it? sad

Fucking hell man, people here are extremely sensitive. We're discussing technicalities of the label with the label owner. Now go back to the sandbox! tongue

pXtR wrote:

I listen the sounds of the chip, then I search technical documents, start writing stuff to registers, study it, days, weeks, years, return it later, and again and again. I always find something new, some combination I didn't notice last time. For me that's composing with chips. When I understand how the chip works, I know exactly what the tracker (which is emulator of the chip) does (although I don't use much trackers, I'm traditionally educated composer, I simply can't read music top-down, only left-right direction. That's amusing, at least for me).

You are a dying breed. Round of applause for someone with the right attitude.

Yes I am,but luckily there are few others too ! Being a dying breed was one reason to make this netlabel this way, I'm trying to give my tiny part to continue the "original" approach, let's see what happens, this is a starting point, future releases will show us the general direction. Thanks Akira !

uhajdafdfdfa
akira^8GB wrote:
ant1 wrote:

I was adding my own views to the discussion. If you wanted it to be private there is a PM function which works well. Ugh whatever, nothing more to be expected from chipmusic.org...

jikoo wrote:

A small promotion !!! wink http://woolyss.com/chipmusic-netlabels.php

Thanks jikoo !!!

-p

New York City
ant1 wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

I was adding my own views to the discussion. If you wanted it to be private there is a PM function which works well. Ugh whatever, nothing more to be expected from chipmusic.org...

Oh snap! No humor here either!

Godzilladelph

i'm a bit comfused as to what u will accept,
1 can the music be .mp3, or must it absolutely be something like .nsf?
2 are keyboards and theremins and circuit bent shits ok?
3 is there any particular style or sound you're going for?

SKGB wrote:

i'm a bit comfused as to what u will accept,
1 can the music be .mp3, or must it absolutely be something like .nsf?
2 are keyboards and theremins and circuit bent shits ok?
3 is there any particular style or sound you're going for?

Here:

1. No MP3/WAV/OGG etc.,  acceptable are all trackers like MOD,XM,IT,S3M, FMT etc, 8-bit programs like TAP,SNA,BIN,XEX etc, as long there's a player/emulator available.

2. All sources 8-bit or less, old stuff. If you have bent say Gameboy consoles, yes, use them, record, make MOD or embed the sounds to 8-bit programs, dump registers, anything 8-bit (or less) that is playable. Keyboards is too general that I could answer, if you use old 8-bit digital keyboards for sampling that should work.

3. Noise, especially noisy experimental pieces, no pop tunes etc., noise, a lot of noise.

Here's the site with first two releases:

http://8it.shiftwave.org

-p

Sweeeeeeden

Re: The discussion between pXtR and Akira

It doesn't really make sense to restrict the samples that you can use in a MOD/XM based on technical criteria. An 8-bit sample (as in bitdepth, not aesthetic) is just a bleak copy of the original anyway. What makes more sense is to restrict the sample sources based on aesthetics, not technology. A common way to generate chip samples back in the days, and still today of course, was to hold down the right mouse button, move your mouse randomly and loop that section. What you end up with is a constant sounding waveform. Make a few of those with different timbre, and you can make a song with chip aesthetics. If you're not going to allow that, I suggest you scrap the MOD/XM format entirely.

nitro2k01 wrote:

Re: The discussion between pXtR and Akira

It doesn't really make sense to restrict the samples that you can use in a MOD/XM based on technical criteria. An 8-bit sample (as in bitdepth, not aesthetic) is just a bleak copy of the original anyway. What makes more sense is to restrict the sample sources based on aesthetics, not technology. A common way to generate chip samples back in the days, and still today of course, was to hold down the right mouse button, move your mouse randomly and loop that section. What you end up with is a constant sounding waveform. Make a few of those with different timbre, and you can make a song with chip aesthetics. If you're not going to allow that, I suggest you scrap the MOD/XM format entirely.

Although we discussed technical issues, the final decision is always aesthetic. If you generate waveforms in a way you described it is perfectly acceptable for me, anyway I listen the submissions and accept or reject them by ear, it is most important "technical" vehicle in this or any music-related  context. I'm not trying to define chipmusic aesthetics, just trying to define the aesthetics of my netlabel. The most important thing is that it is focused to noise, I tried to make the guidelines so that anyone could find a way to apply them to fit their own methods of working, their own aesthetics.

Thanks of your comment !

-p