Hi all,

I've started a new netlabel for 8-bit (or less than 8-bit) experimental, noise music.
Few general guidelines for submissions:

1. Sounds, noise, experimental stuff, not tunes, songs, always 8-bit or less
2. Only tracker formats, sample formats from 8-bit sources (consoles, old computers etc).
3. Each EP should contain 3-8 pieces.
4. Maximum total for music in one EP is 1 MB.

The idea is keep things small, pure 8-bit noise/music, experimental, using tracker formats like MOD,XM,IT,S3M,CMC etc., programs (TAP,BIN,Z80,SNA,XEX), saved states, anything as long there's free player or emulator available. No VST's, MP3/WAV/OGG etc. If you want submit cover image too, just put  280x280px image with all music pieces in one ZIP-archive and send by email to the address below.

The site is here:

http://8it.shiftwave.org

Big, big thanks for Infradead of offering subdomain and disk space, and others of interesting discussion !

First release is online (by pXtR), more is coming soon !

Thanks !

pXtR
[email protected]
http://8it.shiftwave.org

Unsubscribe

I also encourage you to find ad solicit music from artists You like.. being a great curator is the hallmark of a great netlabel!

New York City

I also encourage you to analyze name options. I don't even know how to say your label's name tongue

Anaheim, California

is milkytracker an ok tracker

Unsubscribe
akira^8GB wrote:

I also encourage you to analyze name options. I don't even know how to say your label's name tongue

I pronounced it "AIGHT!"

herr_prof wrote:

I also encourage you to find ad solicit music from artists You like.. being a great curator is the hallmark of a great netlabel!

A good advice, thanks, coming soon (very soon, I hope !).

-p

akira^8GB wrote:

Neither do I but it looks fun ! Like your comment, I somehow sense self-irony here....:).

-p

New York City

I guess I cringe with ANY further reference with 8-bit. It's a bit passé, catch me drift?

Russolo wrote:

is milkytracker an ok tracker

Milkytracker is OK, any tracker, as long you use 8-bit sources only (consoles, old computers etc),
no 32-bit drum samples converted to 8-bit format, only real stuff, then zip all modules and possible cover and submit to address above (in original announcement in this topic). Please remember, all the music uncompressed should be 1 MB or under.

-p

New York City
pXtR wrote:

Milkytracker is OK, any tracker, as long you use 8-bit sources only (consoles, old computers etc),
no 32-bit drum samples converted to 8-bit format, only real stuff

How can you know I have not used a VST that emulates the real stuff?
*enter can of worms, wide open*

akira^8GB wrote:
pXtR wrote:

no 32-bit drum samples converted to 8-bit format, only real stuff

How can you know I have not used a VST that emulates the real stuff?
*enter can of worms, wide open*

Oh well, first, I trust people, generally, what's the point to cheat here anyway ? I mean I don't lose anything if someone is cheating this or that way, if I don't hear it someone else will notice it sooner or later. Second, the idea is to experiment, try something new, I don't expect that people buy all machines, I'm well aware that people will use emulators (whether VST-based chip emulators, game emulators, 8-bit computer emulators) to make their samples, or they record stuff if they own real machines. We are making music, the only people we can cheat is ourselves, I'm just delivering the stuff for others, perhaps few people start making this music when they hear it from this netlabel or some other. Hopefully. Third, and most important, I listen, I've several original machines at home, over 20 computers and consoles, I've have heard the original machines, probably 90% of them, I just listen. Not only trying to keep things as original as possible, small, quick to download etc, not accepting VST/MP3/WAV/OGG-thing I eliminate (or at least try to eliminate) the temptation of postprocessing the stuff with extra reverbs, delays, VST-based stuff and so on. Rules are clear, let's just make music, that should be the main thing. I assume smile

-p

Last edited by pXtR (Jul 23, 2010 9:08 pm)

New York City
pXtR wrote:

We are making music, the only people we can cheat is ourselves

But why would it be cheating? This is what I am pointing at.
I like the aesthetic choice you have made for your label and I look forward to the releases. However the technical bit seems a bit strange since it's only for the hell of it, the difference between real and emulated is blurring more and more with time and I don't exactly know how sensical is it to emphasize on it on this case.

Take Hexawe. They make Piggytracker music. And they release the Piggytracker files as well as the MP3s with each compo/release. Then teh restriction makes sense. It's an LGPT label which also offers regular audio files for other public.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jul 23, 2010 9:12 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

Random negativity galore! Is there anything wrong with doing things just for the hell of it? sad

Minneapolis

I for one applaud you pXtR. This looks like a quite worthwhile project and very cool from a conceptual standpoint. Also, as someone who lives with the reality of a slow internet connection, keeping it down to modules and such is very cool. Also, props to ant1 for hitting the nail on the head!

akira^8GB wrote:
pXtR wrote:

We are making music, the only people we can cheat is ourselves

But why would it be cheating? This is what I am pointing at.
I like the aesthetic choice you have made for your label and I look forward to the releases. However the technical bit seems a bit strange since it's only for the hell of it, the difference between real and emulated is blurring more and more with time and I don't exactly know how sensical is it to emphasize on it on this case.

Take Hexawe. They make Piggytracker music. And they release the Piggytracker files as well as the MP3s with each compo/release. Then teh restriction makes sense. It's an LGPT label which also offers regular audio files for other public.

I meant exactly what you quote: as a musicians/composers/artists we can cheat only ourselves, it was general statement, that's all. You're right about blurring, for me especially blurring is to listen chipmusic and hear a lot of effects that wouldn't be possible without current technologies. My own working method is practically always same: I listen the sounds of the chip, then I search technical documents, start writing stuff to registers, study it, days, weeks, years, return it later, and again and again. I always find something new, some combination I didn't notice last time. For me that's composing with chips. When I understand how the chip works, I know exactly what the tracker (which is emulator of the chip) does (although I don't use much trackers, I'm traditionally educated composer, I simply can't read music top-down, only left-right direction. That's amusing, at least for me). All chipmusic is basically "retro-stuff", so why to use MP3 which didn't even exist at the time of ZX Spectrum 48k. It is good that there are other netlabels who use both modern technologies and also publish the original files too. I stick only latter, I emulate the old times, you know when stuff was sent by modems, 1200 baud or if you were lucky you bought 9600 baud modem, I would never send 20 MB MP3 with those machines, even 20 KB was pain. Small is good in 8!t, "in the netlabel impossible to pronounce !" smile

-p

ant1 wrote:

Random negativity galore! Is there anything wrong with doing things just for the hell of it? sad

Thanks ant1, no problems, I expected more angry comments, so far discussion has been mostly nice and comments quite well justified. Anyway I'm only a composer, my task is to compose, soon, probably tomorrow, I go back to study chips and make more horrible sounds smile.

Thanks of your support ant1 !

-p