Turku, FIN
bucky wrote:

This doesn't help for sprites, but for text you could try scrollNES-
http://vimeo.com/8779990
http://www.no-carrier.com/index.php?/scrollnes/

scrollnes is not very good for stand alone vj'ing for gigs. I would like to be able to control it with other visual things.

philly

Ah yeah, Don usually puts it through a video mixer with something else when he uses it.

Last edited by bucky (Jul 25, 2010 9:36 pm)

rochester, ny

this isn't an idea for visuals, but i just wanted to say that i think it would be incredible if there was a way to sync up an NSF file on a powerpak with a gameboy playing LSDJ.

WOW MAN!
nickmaynard wrote:

this isn't an idea for visuals, but i just wanted to say that i think it would be incredible if there was a way to sync up an NSF file on a powerpak with a gameboy playing LSDJ.

In the experiments we did with NTRQ, it was only really possibly to have the NES as the sync master and LSDJ as the slave (sync pulse only comes *out* of the NES as opposed to going into it). Could be possible though, with those restrictions in mind.

rochester, ny
neilbaldwin wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

In the experiments we did with NTRQ, it was only really possibly to have the NES as the sync master and LSDJ as the slave (sync pulse only comes *out* of the NES as opposed to going into it). Could be possible though, with those restrictions in mind.

i would be incredibly happy working within those restrictions.

WOW MAN!
nickmaynard wrote:
neilbaldwin wrote:

I really would like to revisit the sync thing someday, it would be good to get it working properly but it relies on Arduino stuff and that's not my thing at all.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
neilbaldwin wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

I really would like to revisit the sync thing someday, it would be good to get it working properly but it relies on Arduino stuff and that's not my thing at all.

Would it be possible to make use of the additional controller port on the NES?  If you modified a controller, you could use the various inputs to control the syncing.  It wouldn't be too hard to splice an NES controller and a DMG link cable together. I'm not sure how LSDJ utiluzes the link cable for syncing, and you'd probably need a bit of simple electronics to get it to trigger the buttom presses on the NES, but this seems like a simple enough solution.

The same principal could be used for various control situations.

WOW MAN!
jefftheworld wrote:
neilbaldwin wrote:

Would it be possible to make use of the additional controller port on the NES?  If you modified a controller, you could use the various inputs to control the syncing.  It wouldn't be too hard to splice an NES controller and a DMG link cable together. I'm not sure how LSDJ utiluzes the link cable for syncing, and you'd probably need a bit of simple electronics to get it to trigger the buttom presses on the NES, but this seems like a simple enough solution.

Not sure, i had nothing to do with that side of things when I was working on this with Batsly Adams.

The NTRQ sync (master) was sending pulses out of the second controller port. Apparently reading the port sends a detectable pulse to the controller and Batsly A had rigged up some Arduino stuff to read this - the other end was spliced to a LSDJ sync cable and thus LSDJ was slaved to the NTRQ pulse. It wasn't working totally correct though and would drift out of sync after a while.

We never continued with it though - both got side-tracked I imagine smile

Turku, FIN

Midi for the Vj programs would super awesome

Tokyo, Japan

Don mentioned his might be  possible with his arduino voodoo controller thinger?

rochester, ny
neilbaldwin wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

Not sure, i had nothing to do with that side of things when I was working on this with Batsly Adams.

The NTRQ sync (master) was sending pulses out of the second controller port. Apparently reading the port sends a detectable pulse to the controller and Batsly A had rigged up some Arduino stuff to read this - the other end was spliced to a LSDJ sync cable and thus LSDJ was slaved to the NTRQ pulse. It wasn't working totally correct though and would drift out of sync after a while.

We never continued with it though - both got side-tracked I imagine smile

would it be difficult to make an nes rom that ONLY sent out clock pulses through the player 2 port? if that existed, then someone could give the arduino end of it a try. and if they got that working, then the nes rom could have features added to it (like maybe the ability to play back an nsf file).

GNV / FL / USA

DISmantle87 asked me this question via private message:

Now to my question: I am curious to know, how you make sure you're NES doesn't fail on you during shows and all that? With all the blue/blinking screen the NES often does. Do you have special tips for maintaining a certain stability?

I thought it would be good to post my answer here:

Well, to be honest, I rarely have problems with my systems. However, I should say that I use 3 at a time with a video mixer. So, that means two are mixed in at any one time with a third used to load new ROM's. So, if one does fuck up, I can just mix it out.

However, if you are using one system - make sure you replace the 72 pin connector. That will fix 95% of your problems. Also, make sure you clean every cart before you put it in the NES after the connector is cleaned - or you will just transfer dirt to it. After replacing the connector, carts should fit really tight. I don't even push mine down. That also helps - they can kind of bounce a little if the bass is heavy or drunk people hit your table.

Finally, look up a tutorial for disabling the lockout chip. This can help as well. If you do this, its less likely you'll get blinking / flashing. This usually occurs when the lockout chip in the NES can't connect with one on the cart - and usually happens because of dirt and shit on the contacts of the cart.

Tokyo, Japan

I could be wrong, but don't the top loading NES/Famicoms not have a lock out chip ergo no blinking?

forgive the horrid grammar.

thieveland ohio

rip off pin 4 of the lockout chip clean your games with brasso and replace the 72 pin. fixes all my problems

Last edited by node (Jul 31, 2010 3:02 pm)

GNV / FL / USA
Lazerbeat wrote:

I could be wrong, but don't the top loading NES/Famicoms not have a lock out chip ergo no blinking?

forgive the horrid grammar.

Yep, that's correct.

Venezuela

i added this idea to the litewall post while ago, but here is again...

Any coder could work in some NES Vjing program that can actually WORKS with the NINTENDO LIGHTGUN!!... imagine a VJ shooting ppl around while he is Vjing!!!... totally showman/neat way to VJ!!!...
Dont know if that possible, but would be nice to implement a system like that... for example... you have your NES with 2 controls... PAD 1, is a normal control, PAD 2 is the lightgun.... in the pad 1 you do the "setting" and the pad 2 is for changing forms/sizes/colors by shooting somthing in the screen or somewhere... or just made a system like... 1 shoot for jump to another + form /+ color / up-size / + speed, 2 shoots for - form / + color / down-size / - speed and so on...
or you have 2 guns to run/setting/play and VJing... big_smile

maybe this is just a crazy idea, but i think is possible and actually will TOTALLY add the SHOWMAN factor to the Vjs and the Vj can actually interactive with the public too and with the artist who's playing instead of been in a lame background playing with images.

im up to generate any kind of graphics for a Vj program for NES/Family...