Tokyo, Japan

Following on from the absolutely fantastic Litewall project, I had a thought.

Litewall grew out of a random off hand day drea which a couple of really really talented coders got inspired by an developed into a working tool which far exceeded the original concept.

Bearing in mind the NES/Powerpack combination is:

- Fairly Cheap
- Robust
- Small
- Easy to get hold of
- Awesome

With a growing list of great software

- Glitchnes
- No Carrier's battery of tools and gadgets
- Litewall

I wondered if it might be fun to throw a few more concepts around and see if anything else sticks. If not, it might prove a useful pool of ideas next time a coder is looking for a project. Forgive me as I have no idea how possible or practical or hard or easy any of this is, purely from an aesthetic point of view, so:

- Fractals -

No idea how possible this would be but a slowly zooming fractal generator might be fun.

- Conway's game of life -

Watch life happen and listen to chip music.

- Growth -

Bit difficult to articulate this one but I LOVED the Hunters VJ set at Blip 09, and the idea of something kind of organic looking has always appealed to me. Starting with a few objects at the bottom of a screen which can slowly grow or expand towards the top of a screen with successive button presses? Kind of hard to articulate.

Curious what other ideas people have.

Melbourne, Australia
Lazerbeat wrote:

Powerpack [is] Fairly Cheap

If only sad

IL, US
TmTgr wrote:
Lazerbeat wrote:

Powerpack [is] Fairly Cheap

If only sad

as a video artist who use mostly hardware, let me say $135 is VERY cheap in terms of something you may use for visuals...about the cheapest decent video mixers are over $500 new, same range for projectors, etc.

thieveland ohio

i have an idea for a animation type app. you have a grid 8x8 and can "paint" in the pixels. you can add steps to the sequence so you can make animations.so 16 steps = 16 frames.  then some how you can trigger these animations from a play/sequence screen. i have drawing but no way to scan them in as of yet.

New York City
e.s.c. wrote:
TmTgr wrote:

If only sad

as a video artist who use mostly hardware, let me say $135 is VERY cheap in terms of something you may use for visuals...about the cheapest decent video mixers are over $500 new, same range for projectors, etc.

But the usability of such device is by FAR extremely little compared to that of a videomixer.
With 250dollars I can buy a low spec PC and it would be far more usable than a Powerpack.

rochester, ny

i always liked the visuals that midines makes. could a program do the same thing but with nsf files? like, the music controls the visuals?

IL, US
akira^8GB wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

But the usability of such device is by FAR extremely little compared to that of a videomixer.
With 250dollars I can buy a low spec PC and it would be far more usable than a Powerpack.

true, though the powerpak can also be used for glitchnes, NTRQ, roms, NSF playback, etc... so for someone who would be on chipmusic.org to begin with, i think its still a solid deal for its price..less so if youre just a visualist who likes the look of low bit graphics
also: the powerpak is $135, so about half what that low spec pc costs

New York City

But howmany more things you can do with a pc? smile

IL, US

can you put one in your NES? wink

philly

lol smile

IL, US

dammit bucky! wink
ok, you win, you win

philly

Oh! To add something relevant, I love the 'transition' animation from Taboo: The Sixth Sense. Skip to 2:30-

If only those cards weren't in the way! The colors also change if you press buttons, although you'd probably never know this without an emulator + save stating (since they change on their own to begin with and you wouldn't have a reference for what's different). I'm not sure how elaborate they made the interactivity... probably not very.

If any NES hackers / coders could take a look at this or try to recreate it, I'd love to see it. I can't really think of other classic NES games that had something that was totally VJ-worthy...

Last edited by bucky (Jul 24, 2010 10:32 pm)

Riverside, CA

I want this on my Powerpak.

http://www.no-carrier.com/mandala/index.html

Venezuela
akira^8GB wrote:

But howmany more things you can do with a pc? smile

thats because we are SUDAKAS!!! DE MIERDA!... and that cost us a lot of money!. about 500 pesos!??? thats a big much! XDDD... here about 900 bsF!!! almost/about the basic salary!!!!! LOL.... fokyes!... we are all SUDAKAS!. hope ppl can appriciate and undestand why is expensive for us, and a plus the shipping maybe will PWNED our ass, especially in Argentina, which the % the goverment takes for let you get an electronic device from outside of Argentina is about 60% of the cost... so that mades about 220us$ which is even more money! LOL...

but yes... NES VJ would be nice for power pak, or whatever other kind of cart. But honestly i preffer a VJ program with a portable device, but having more options is always nice

Turku, FIN

I've been vj'ing with litewall and glitchnes now, and one thing i would most like to see is custom sprites.
I wan't to be able to use text and draw my own pictures on the wall. GlitchNes is too glitchy for that..

philly

This doesn't help for sprites, but for text you could try scrollNES-
http://vimeo.com/8779990
http://www.no-carrier.com/index.php?/scrollnes/