Milwaukee, WI

So my brother is going to study and intern in China for a year.  What is the deal with 8-Bit hardware there?  I know modern consoles are censored a bit but what kind of things could you find at a thrift store or something.  Besides nutty clones like the Gameking.  wink

))<>((

Ask Downstate (don't think he has an account here though lol) he lives in Shanghai (I think).

Minneapolis
Theta_Frost wrote:

Besides nutty clones like the Gameking.  wink

Um, nutty clones of NES? The Chinese businesses (or government, since they are communist) have traditionally had absolutely no problem violating international copyright and patent laws and making clones of anything and everything that could have been imported. So you'll see alot of those. Also, importing videogames into China wasn't totally legal all the time, since they wanted to promote the locally made game consoles/clones. I seem to recall images of giant piles (like, several stories tall) of confiscated "contraband" video games, mostly arcade cabinets and such, which weren't of chinese origin and they were piled up and destroyed.

So yeah, China has a history of having really messed up trade relations with other nations, so it's not very likely you'll find anything in the 8-bit range that's not a "nutty clone."

New York City

SULUMI

San Francisco

who knows maybe one of those clones might sound really pimp. i would look for the really old home computers. that would be your best bet.

Brazil

I remember Sparkyboy (Niel, from South Africa) has spent some time there, but I think his chip stuff is a bit still right now.

Olympia, WA

In China, Fakebit is King

Nashville, Tennessee
naxat wrote:

In China, Fakebit is King

not really. i grew up there (18 years, in beijing, taipei, changsha, etc) , there's a lot of interesting stuff happening and on sale if you know where to look. also,

akira^8GB wrote:

SULUMI

Nashville, Tennessee

i know you can pick up GBC's for about 5 bucks, GBA's for 8 or so, and you can still buy NES carts and DMGs and old shit.

Milwaukee, WI

Well I'll tell my brother to keep a look out.  Thanks for the help!

when I was there I saw this awesome Game Boy Pocket clone and I totally wanted to buy it, but it was like $30-40 or something like that.

Nashville, Tennessee
L-tron wrote:

when I was there I saw this awesome Game Boy Pocket clone and I totally wanted to buy it, but it was like $30-40 or something like that.

thats crazy! i've never seen one that expensive. you could probably bargain it down to a 10 bucks tops smile