In my modding attempts. I've broken the ribbon cables of 1 DMG, 2 MGB, AND 1 GBC. Now i'm wondering if there's a way i could take the hardware and transform it into some black box experiment. I have little to no programming knowledge but a steady hand at soldering.

Could I in theory use the sound chips and add them to a different gameboy and achieve more channels?

Are there any small keyboards i could add them to?

All ideas welcome!

Montreal, Canada
sypher1590 wrote:

In my modding attempts. I've broken the ribbon cables of 1 DMG, 2 MGB, AND 1 GBC.

sypher1590 wrote:

I have little to no programming knowledge but a steady hand at soldering.

big_smile

IL, US
sypher1590 wrote:

In my modding attempts. I've broken the ribbon cables of 1 DMG, 2 MGB, AND 1 GBC. Now i'm wondering if there's a way i could take the hardware and transform it into some black box experiment. I have little to no programming knowledge but a steady hand at soldering.

Could I in theory use the sound chips and add them to a different gameboy and achieve more channels?

Are there any small keyboards i could add them to?

All ideas welcome!

the "sound chips" as you call them are z80 processors, so not a true soundchip. they couldn't be added to other game boys for more channels like SID chips in c64 or put into keyboards. here's the wikipedia article about z80 processors, but in short, there's not much you can do with them besides maybe replace a fried one in another game boy, should you ever run into one that the processor crapped out in but the other components are fine