Minneapolis

Yes, that's the other emphasis of the cartridge besides the flash is the onboard RAM banks which allow for lots of flexibility for quick rewrites etc. NROM support is probably going to be coming from the SRAM anyways, with Flash writes being reserved for MMC1 games.

Last edited by arfink (Jul 30, 2010 8:56 pm)

Minneapolis

Well, this may come as a slight dissapointment to some folks here, but the Munchausen cart isn't going to have 100% MMC1 support. (as I mentioned in the first place, I believe) Some functionality of the MMC1 is most definitely going to need to be dedicated to controlling the write enable lines for the Flash and RAM chips, which means some control lines will be re-purposed. Alot will remain, but programmers who want to use the MMC1 in the Munchausen will have to work around the missing registers. It just isn't possible to manage the Flash chip without doing this (or increasing the component count, thus increasing price.) A future revision may be able to fully support MMC1 properly, but at this point the first revision cannot. We will try to provide documentation detailing which registers have been changed so that developers can tell if their code will still work or can be modified to work.

However, some good news: the prototyping has begun in earnest as I rip some donors boards apart today, and Blargg thinks we ought to be able to support a multi-cart menu interface for NROM games. Blargg has got a new version of the controller-port cable working correctly as well, using a Poviant USB to serial port adapter, which is super cheap, and I'll be following suit as soon as my parts come in.

Minneapolis

Huzzah! Now my serial link is working too. Now to work out some noise issues and other junk like that.

Philly/NY
low-gain wrote:
Nullsleep wrote:

doubly support it if you have Enso do the label design.

his color palettes are almost always too dark for print... from what i've seen. (but they look fantastic on an LCD screen!)

but what the hell do i know... LittleBitRecords only waited 7-8 months for artwork that looked as though it was rushed like home work gets the day it's due.

Tucson, AZ

^ LOL -- Just for the record, I've had nothing but good experiences working with Enso.  And I don't think there should be any doubts about the quality of his work as it has been included in several nice exhibitions recently.

Or it could just be an 8bitpeoples conspiracy.

Anyway -- glad to hear updates as things progress with this project.  Exciting things keep happening on the NES front.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
enso wrote:
low-gain wrote:

his color palettes are almost always too dark for print... from what i've seen. (but they look fantastic on an LCD screen!)

but what the hell do i know... LittleBitRecords only waited 7-8 months for artwork that looked as though it was rushed like home work gets the day it's due.

lol.
It's water under the bridge man... the album is out and thats all that matters at this point.
I just wont attempt to utilize east coast talent since i know. A. they have priorities w/ east coast stuff. B. They always seem to be super busy.

No big deal. I'm busy as hell too.. i know how shit gets. it ultimately comes down to communication which is always lacking on both sides.

RE: nullsleep, no conspiracies that i know of.

Last edited by low-gain (Aug 2, 2010 12:16 am)

Minneapolis
low-gain wrote:

No big deal. I'm busy as hell too.. i know how shit gets. it ultimately comes down to communication which is always lacking on both sides.

RE: nullsleep, no conspiracies that i know of.

Ain't that the way it goes for everyone?

By the way, there is a conspiracy. Our founder is the dear Baron. smile

Nullsleep wrote:

Or it could just be an 8bitpeoples conspiracy.

Nullsleep wrote:

could just be an 8bitpeoples conspiracy.

Nullsleep wrote:

just be an 8bitpeoples conspiracy.

Nullsleep wrote:

an 8bitpeoples conspiracy.

All the proof we need.

enso won't even open his window and my arms are tired from holding this boombox

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
PlainFlavored wrote:

enso won't even open his window and my arms are tired from holding this boombox

<--PlainFlavored Portrait

Last edited by low-gain (Aug 2, 2010 1:17 pm)

Tucson, AZ

Ohhhhh, now I get it.

Plymouth, UK

Will it be compatible with PAL systems too?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Nullsleep wrote:

Ohhhhh, now I get it.

wink

c'mon man.. it's a classic~!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
2XAA wrote:

all this stuff should work on all platforms since it's pre-video conversion.
but that's assuming i understand it correctly.

Plymouth, UK
low-gain wrote:
2xAA wrote:

I kinda understandnow as you've said it like that, so it should then.
Sounds good smile

Minneapolis
low-gain wrote:
2XAA wrote:

Actually, not quite right Low-Gain. I believe we can make it PAL compatible, but since we're using the NES as a UART it's very cycle-dependent, which is different if you have an NTSC or PAL NES. However, I have reason to believe it's just a matter of retiming some things to make a special PAL version. I'll need to check that with Blargg though, since he's the code junky. As far as the hardware goes, there will almost certainly be carts with PAL CIC chips onboard.