New York City
ant1 wrote:

4chan memes OK if they are on chipmusic.org posted by people who have been to blip festival?

Ooh, stingy!

uhajdafdfdfa

Heh, I didn't mean to "sting" anyone but I guess you can see what I meant by that. BRKCOREKID is gonna get groaned at for a lot more stuff than Nullsleep! big_smile

Unsubscribe

You can judge a book by tis cover sometimes big_smile

ant1 wrote:

Heh, I didn't mean to "sting" anyone but I guess you can see what I meant by that. BRKCOREKID is gonna get groaned at for a lot more stuff than Nullsleep! big_smile

Both n00bs to me.

A gray world of dread

FWIW, I want this rom hack:

Brooklyn NY US

I thought this was pretty fascinating and cool. Almost art-game / art-hack category -- which in turn isn't terribly far removed from the philosophies underlying a lot of chipmusic.

Also whats every1s favorite Pokemon lol?

Asking for a music scene that isn't a friends club and will hold new members in the same esteem as long-time friends is like asking for a chipmusic forum without videogame threads. Neither are very likely at all.

There's a reason why many people here are held in higher esteem than others and that is because they worked hard and paid their dues, and have sacrificed a lot on account of their craft. Everybody else has the same chance that they had to prove themselves, and to spread their proverbial seed around. So to call this community elitist is not necessarily a bad thing.

philly
tacticalbread wrote:
Heosphoros wrote:

I think what you should have said, and would be more truthful is:

There are more respected members of the chip music community on this sit, then at 8bc.

And anyone that's not a 'respected member' gets ridiculed, disrespected, and doesn't get reasonable answers.

I completely agree with one thing Mono said, in James' thread. You guys are like a bunch of fucking high schoolers, in your own little 'clique'. Any outsiders, or anyone new gets shunned and not taken seriously. I'm not saying this about everyone, but I've noticed it from the fucking start. I guess you people who have been around longer like how small the scene is, and would like to keep it that way. Well hate to break it to you, but it's not going to stay that way forever, and you really should quit treating people like complete shit, and giving such absurd answers to posts like this. Just because you've been a part of the 'scene' for longer than everyone else, doesn't make you better than everyone else.

Not everyone is always nice to newcomers all the time, but this isn't a community that's out to ridicule the new guys. Far from it. Take another look around the forum, reconsider your rant... and chill. smile This is a great forum and it's very un-cliquey compared to lots of other internet communities. There are many great things that happen here! Why blow some trite negativity out of proportion?

I'm not sure I even understand what you have a problem with. I'm thinking the issues you've built up need some reassessing, because in the chip scene, people are always happy to see dedicated and talented newcomers. I'm saying this from a perspective that's familiar with 8static here in philly, and to a lesser extent, other chip shows in general. The whole "you're elitists and you want to keep the scene small" allegation is absurd and certainly speaks for almost no one here, let alone the community at large.

While it's relevant, I will share the cynicism I feel when I see certain chiptune artists / enthusiasts who can't distance themselves enough from video games. "I didn't get into this shit b/c of video games!" "Pokemon is diaper baby nonsense!". It's like, sure, all those gripes have their own validity, but that doesn't make them not silly (or completely embarrassing) to hear over and over. It's like, do we still need to be reminded of that disapproval? It starts to sound like a hang-up at a certain point...

Anyways, I just thought I'd point that out, at least for tacticalbread's sake and anyone else who may be confused. Any negativity here has everything to do with (somewhat justifiable) issues of relevance and a (less desirable) "I'm not here for games" mentality working in tandem. Don't fall victim to believing that 'the scene' actually has all these other weird issues you laid out, even if a poster or two somehow give you that impression.

*E wrote:

Sorry if I may have opened a scab in the community.  I thought this ROM hack was a really interesting creation and figured General Discussion was the most appropriate section to put it in.

Maybe some of the posters in this thread didn't even click the link to realize what that the thread is about a ROM hack rather than Pokemon.

Edit:  Either way, I apologize.  If a mod wants to delete this to keep standards on CM I completely understand. smile

Seriously, don't sweat it! You seem like a respectful poster interested in making conversation. It's good to understand why a thread like this will likely be considered out of place and garner negative attention by some, but you have the right intentions. Perhaps it's worth reevaluating if talking about games...
A) Should happen in the General forum.
B) Should happen in a new / revised subforum.
C) Shouldn't happen at all.

I'd prefer A or B. It's not like game discussion is ruining the integrity of the general forum, or anything, but I could understand why someone might want it separated.

/tldr, and good post from bit shifter.

Last edited by bucky (Jul 30, 2010 9:59 pm)

Tucson, AZ
Bit Shifter wrote:

I thought this was pretty fascinating and cool. Almost art-game / art-hack category -- which in turn isn't terribly far removed from the philosophies underlying a lot of chipmusic.

^ this. I had actually read the post on Tiny Cartridge before seeing this thread and was surprised to see so many people complaining that it was irrelevant. Whether it's a hoax or not, the concept is pretty intriguing -- david lynch meets pokemon.

I heart bucky

bucky wrote:

Seriously, don't sweat it! You seem like a respectful poster interested in making conversation. It's good to understand why a thread like this will likely be considered out of place and garner negative attention by some, but you have the right intentions. Perhaps it's worth reevaluating if talking about games...
A) Should happen in the General forum.
B) Should happen in a new / revised subforum.
C) Shouldn't happen at all.

I'd prefer A or B. It's not like game discussion is ruining the integrity of the general forum, or anything, but I could understand why someone might want it separated.

/tldr, and good post from bit shifter.

Thanks Bucky!

Wellington, NZ

As I said. I think the idea of art hacks are brilliant. And I also think that that is basically what we are doing (hacking old consoles for art sake(music)) and the idea of making a game that is more story line then video game is pure genius. I may look into doing something like that at some point. I could make a more mature story than one is accustomed to in gameboy games.

Chicago IL

nothing good will come from total elitism OR unconditional optimism. pokemon in general shouldn't be a part of this board. this imaginary hack is at least a cool idea and somewhat falls into a 'chip art' sort of category, but in the end it's just a story a dude came up with.

pokemon is for babies, and so is crying.

FlashHeart

My favorite pokemon is Adam Michnik.

nevermind. That's "Polish man."

Milwaukee, WI

Cory Archangel/Beige Records fuck the world.

Hockey fight? Oh, yes.

Milwaukee, WI

*arcangel