England

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r4-ca … ils-emerge

From the article:

"it is now illegal to manufacture, import, distribute or sell in the UK any device that is "primarily designed, produced, adapted or performed for the purpose of enabling or facilitating the circumvention of the ETM employed by Nintendo to protect its copyright"."

If you live in UK, now might be the time to buy that flash cart you've been eyeing up.

Tacoma WA

whoa.. damn

though i bet if you had one mailed to you from someone in the US especially if you took it out of its package it would slip through the dragnet

that will make things more expensive and annoying for you guys

Melbourne, Australia

I wonder if nes/dmg copying devices would be disallowed also

Minneapolis

And so the UK continues it's ever-increasing race from tyranny unto tyranny. I pity you guys. I really do. I'm sorry.

Like most banned goods, this will not stop flash carts from being easily distributed around the UK.

they failed to show us their source anyway

Sweeeeeeden

This will hardly stop GB flash carts from being sold.
1) GB flash carts aren't circumventing anything.
2) Ol' Ninty only cares about systems they actually make money on.
The ruling applies to DS flash carts, and that's all it'll be used for.

Chicago IL

i wish they would ban CRYING

Plymouth, UK

Lucky I have two R4 carts, an M3 and a Max Media Dock ;D
All imported well before the ban.

matt's mind

just get your shipping person to not put 'video game part' or something on the customs label, and instead 'electronics part'.

its not a lie doing that.  just not as detailed as they may like. 

they won't be checking for GB stuff anyways.  they don't care.  they don't make money of antiquated technology.  don't even have support or repair those consoles now, or even the newer GBs which you think may still get Nintendo service/support. 

wouldn't be surprised if the gameboy line just fizzles out for good in the future (with no ressurection), in favor of smart devices like the modern DS which they've already pretty much adopted instead of the GB line.

although, a gameboy ressurection would be interesting.  especially if they'd consider this scene.  but, 

i doubt they'd really care.  flash carts have been scetchy for a long time, and selling them for  modern supported platforms is a bit of a risk within the US (its why most modern flash cart people are in Canada).

they DO certainly care about DS carts, and i remember not long ago (3-4 years) GBA flashcarts caused issues with some sellers in the US.  DS flashcarts are already a tricky business.  Not surprised at all about this ruling. 

actually, its a little odd that the UK didn't already protect Nintendo's copyright in a way that this ruling was even needed.  I understand that this ruling explicity mentioned Nintendo...

but, their copyright was already protected under UK law, for sure.  the UK is a member of the berne convention after all, so a nintendo copyright held in any of the berne union nations wold be respected in the others. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Conv … stic_Works (for the curious)

nintendo operates from a copyright here in the US, and in Japan, so it must already have been respected by all other nations part of that union.  even if i can't speak personally about whether or not Nintendo products in the UK are granted a UK license,

but, it doesn't really matter.  they are protected irregardless, because the UK is already bound by international law.

i think this is old policy, just reiterated and upheld in this most recent ruling.

no worries, really.  they won't care.

nintendo wants to stop the sale of R4, acekard, and the edge cards and those things.  not flash carts for the GB, and i bet they could care less about the GBA at this point (ill distinguish it from the other GBs).  they won't spend the money to take anyone to court on something they no longer make money off of.

but, they most certainly will with DS flash carts.  from time to time you hear of someone being shut down and their inventory seized.

which is why we don't deal with them.  not worth it to earn the wrath of Nintendo.

Plymouth, UK

What I think is petty about Nintendo is that they won't even stand for people using home-brew applications on DS such as Nitro Tracker or Protein DS. Is it not my DS after I've bought it?

Even though it's all about patents don't they have some copyright on the DS's plastic shell look?
What if I draw a face on my DS's casing? Will some Nintendo rep stop me in the street and arrest me for personalising my DS?
It's pretty much the same as running non-profit apps on my DS.

I couldn't give a crap about what Nintendo think I should do with my DS. I haven't even played an official Nintendo game on my DS in months!

If I wanted to play a game I didn't have I'd go out and buy it off the shelf, not download it illegally.

This thred should be entitled 'Nintendo Nazis'

New York City

Funny rule coming from what used to be PIRATES LAND. ;D

brighton, uk

I don't see http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/ going out of business any time soon.