So Elektron made a proper FM synth called the Digitone! 4 Operator with an intuitive interface, with their usual flexible sequencer.

Rumor has it that the person behind the FM engine is a part of the chip music community... And some cool peeps like Zabutom, Hizmi, Quarta330 made some of the factory presets...

4 track sequencer with 8 voice poly should entice some chip heads for sure... :-)

Some neat demos:

Zabutom remade Zeta Force on it:
https://soundcloud.com/elektron/digitone-zetaforce

Hizmi's little romp:
https://soundcloud.com/elektron/hizmi-demoptn

Some cool BoC vibes:
https://soundcloud.com/elektron/vanta-black

Last edited by _-_- (Feb 9, 2018 4:29 pm)

Melbourne

yeah I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one

Poland, Gdansk
_-_- wrote:

Rumor has it that the person behind the FM engine is a part of the chip music community...

LOL

NorthTtrrrway

this machine sounds very good

Glasgow, Scotland.

I wasn't impressed with how they've dealt with the Digitakt, so I'll be avoiding Elektron for a while.

Unsubscribe

What do you mean? The Digitakt seems awesome.

france

The digitack is just a real good simple sampler which sound really good and which is simple, really simple.
There was a bug with midi on it.
Took me 2.5 hours to reach it, so... not a problem for me, but for party people... Not the same
There was no backup... So yes it's a problem too.
All of these seem to be fixed since last friday : os 1.05 out ten month after release.

If every hardware vendor fine tune their os to this high level of efficiency... Life would be really better...

Last edited by yoyz2k (Feb 11, 2018 7:29 pm)

NorthTtrrrway
herr_prof wrote:

Chip music drama alert wink

detroit
herr_prof wrote:

best hardware sampler / sequencer to come out in a real hot minute

Unsubscribe
the mist toggles wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

I was genuinely curious because his was the literally the first negative comment I’ve heard. I’m sure he has reasons!

Melbourne

There's a lot of hate over at Elektronauts.

I think it's just become standard practice lately to release finished hardware with somewhat less finished firmware. There were plenty of bugs in other Elektron machines on launch, but they were eventually fixed. I'm not gonna let it bother me too much, that said, my feelings may change if I get a digitone lol

NorthTtrrrway
herr_prof wrote:
the mist toggles wrote:

I was genuinely curious because his was the literally the first negative comment I’ve heard. I’m sure he has reasons!

It wasn't an alert towards you, but what i thought would follow. Could be that the alert worked! smile

Digitone seems like an FM dream coming true. Great work from sharp people at Elektron!

Glasgow, Scotland.

No drama, just a fair warning for anyone considering the Digitone. smile

herr_prof wrote:

I should say up front that in general I really love the Digitakt. It's pretty intuitive, and it really helps inspire the writing of new music.

That said... it came out in May last year. I got mine in about October time, and despite that, there are a pile of bugs and half finished features. We're not talking just the regular teething issues you get with other hardware either, but some really basic stuff that still remains unfixed. Some examples:

* No way to back up songs.
* No way to see the amount of space left in the internal hard drive, and no notification when you have actually run out of space.
* No indication of which samples on the hard drive have been used in a project, and which ones can safely be removed.
* When copying MIDI patterns, the CC and channel mappings aren't copied over, which means you need to re-configure them every. single. time.
* A litany of problems with MIDI that resulted in frequent crashing.
* Despite all of the marketing and manual stating that the Digitakt was 'Overbridge ready', it still hasn't been released. In other words, the software to allow you to record each track separately isn't available.

Plus a whole bunch of other problems. Elektron have been terrible at communicating, and delayed OS updates etc... To be honest, it's just not good enough for a premium product. What was especially galling was to see Elektron carrying on to release new products and firmware for other devices, whilst the Digitakt was left half finished, and with no decent answers being given. They were actively snarky to me and other users who submitted support tickets, which has left a bad taste in my mouth as well.

(p.s. the 1.05 OS had issues, and 1.06 is now out. It still doesn't address many of the major problems that I have.)

I was really pleased when I first got the Digitakt, but the way Elektron have handled everything has been terrible, and the functionality issues have meant that it's become less and less effective to use. (e.g. I have no storage space left, but I can't see which samples are redundant... I can't multi-track record them because there's no Overbridge yet, and I can't backup or save any of them to come back to later).

Because of the above I personally won't be rushing out to buy any new Elektron products. Maybe a couple of years after release, but as it stands, I don't trust them any more. Sadly. The Digitone looks cool, but I would be careful before shelling out £700 given how they've treated the Digitakt. Caveat emptor smile

Last edited by unexpectedbowtie (Feb 13, 2018 3:27 am)

Its true! but still elektron is much better. they at least do not give up their products after 2 years.

Glasgow, Scotland.
Jalex wrote:

Its true! but still elektron is much better. they at least do not give up their products after 2 years.

They might not need to if they paid enough attention in the first place tongue

Unsubscribe

I’ve heard that about every product going back to the monomachine, so I’m not surprised.