Baton Rouge, LA

I just did a backlight, 1/4 prosound and RCA prosound in one gameboy. I've done all of these before with no problem but never all 3 in one GB. It powers on with power adapter and the backlight and both prosounds work fine. When I put batteries in nothing happens power wise but the batteries and the terminals get hot quick! Where could the culprit be? Could it be something to do with the little board that i moved from left to right to make room for 1/4? My solder connections seem pretty sound and I don't see any obvious signs. Did a search but nothing about what I have going on.

It's got to be from relocating the power regulator board. It sounds like you shorted out the terminals. Use a continuity tester before trying the batteries again.

Baton Rouge, LA

Call me crazy but I don’t have a continuity tester. Should probably remedy that. Could I just replace the board with another from a different gb?

You could replace the board, but your current board should be fine. It sounds to me like there's a short where the wires connect to the board.

Baton Rouge, LA

Awesome. I’ll check it out when I get home. I have a feeling too much solder may have bridged a couple of wires. Thanks for the tip.

Baton Rouge, LA

Ok. Here’s an update.

Replaced the wire I used to move the board and I got the backlight to power up but it’s real dim and the power led doesn’t light up. So I tried a new board and I got nothing again. No power, no dim backlight just dead. Tried a third board and now I have power led coming on, backlight comes on but now the screen doesn’t change contrast, there is no speaker pop when I turn it on and the boot logo doesn’t drop and go “ping”. Getting frustrated but still having fun tinkering.

Replace your batteries. You would've drained them by shorting them out.