São Paulo, Brazil

I posted this on eab.net, but maybe there is some Amiga freak here who can help me smile

I want to put on some samples on my a600 and use them with OctaMED, but I'm having some issues. These samples are in wav or aiff, and I'm using Audacity on the PC for exporting them in raw data. I tried to export 8-bit and 16-bit raw, both signed and unsigned. None of them worked. When I import the samples on OctaMED (or Protracker), the sounds are awfully distorted and with their pitch all messed up. Also tried Soundforge to export the raw files, but doesn't work as well.

I really don't know if this is the right way. Anyway, some tips on how to do it properly on the PC? Or is this a proper tracker setting on the Amiga?

Thanks for your time.

New York City

I asked a similar quetion at the EAB recently and I forgot to mention this to you. I wanted to convert RAW to IFF

There are _NO_ standard sample rate for the samples used in modules.
But most often the samples are done on the rate called C-3 (which is
about 16574 Hz if you have a PAL machine). Sometimes drums are sampled
at A-3 (around 28 kHz), and some sounds are at ~8 kHz or anything else
to save space.

I am almost sure you are having a sample rate issue. Always use 8 bit, not 16, too

My suggestion: use FastTracker 2 or Milkytracker to save those WAVs as IFF or RAW as best as possible, unless you have a fuck-ton of them, this shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Aug 6, 2010 9:23 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil

None worked man. Tried saving the samples in IFF with Milkytracker and as IFF/SMP with Fasttracker. Still the same.

SHIT.

New York City

I dont really understand the problem.
I think maybe you should just sample them with an Amiga sampler.

Why dont you post audio samples here? It's kind of hard to play by ear without hearing what is going on.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Aug 7, 2010 2:26 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil

Thanks, I'll send you a couple when you're online at instant messager. Anyway, maybe a sampler would be a good idea.

UK

Try 8363hz or 16726hz & 8bit mono signed

Or for an easier option you can just grab a shareware copy of Goldwave -its a nice (and well priced) sample editor - www.goldwave.com which supports saving IFF format properly (just make sure u bung samples down as Amiga .IFF format - your safe to save higher quality samples in this format but bear in mind big samples will use up your free mem quickly smile

UK

oh yea and goldwave does batch conversion too smile

New York City

The problem is, apparently, downsampling. Most if not all of these software downsample like shit, and this is how he is getting horrible quality files.
At the EAB they recommended the command line utility SOX partcularly because it downsamples very well.

The best-sounding option is, still, re-sampling.

São Paulo, Brazil

thanks guys! I'm at work right now and I'll try goldwave and SOX when I get home.

(ne7, I tried 16726hz & 8bit with Audacity (found the 16726hz parameter when opening a raw file from the st-xx banks) but it didn't work. Gonna try at 8363hz)

Last edited by PULSELOOPER (Aug 7, 2010 6:27 pm)

Sweden

I use "sox in.wav -r 8363 -b 8 -u out.raw" for protracker.

New York City

Isn't 8636 a bit low quality?

Sweden

Yeah, but for a good tonal range it's the best in my opinion. I double that for drum samples and one-shots!

Milwaukee, WI

I've never had a good experience importing sound files to the Amiga, no matter the program. It always sounds like balls in comparison to sampling directly.

I recently acquired a 1200, but I've never done anything sample-based before, so I've got no clue about sample rates, signed vs unsigned, 8bit vs 16bit, wav vs raw, etc. Anyone got a link besides Google that can explain all of that?

I've downloaded the ST-XX disks and assume those won't need any tweaking. But if I want to start playing with samples of my own, can anyone recommend an Amiga sampler, or will any old one do?

Maybe I should just start out with AHX or Hively Tracker. But I want to try t3h s4mplezzzz!

New York City

Any amiga sampler should work. I might even have an extra spare.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

i'd guess that cTrix know's the answers smile