Wellington, New Zealand

I've tried lots of options. The one I have is too slow and too basic.
-I don't like templates
-I want something really customizable
-Something to upload my music to
-Something with a html editor
-It would be cool if someone showed me how to make it so music it playing in the background.

I've searched through google for a few ones. I'm using atspace.com atm.
I don't mind subdomains, as I can make it so my domain forwards to it.
Much thanks.

killadelphia

i'd say basic is not a problem - simple can be amazingly swift in conveying something cool and not pissing users off.  design and layout is the most important thing (not that mine is great, but i try) - you can make a really meaningful site with very little.  layout is the first thing that people see and even if they don't know anything about it - it impacts their decision to click on something else or type in a new URL.  think layout first and then find the tools that you need to make it come through.

music playing in the background is an annoying thing i'd say...  always give the user the option of turning the shit off and on because it's just annoying when shit starts playing and you can't shut it off.  i understand you want people to hear something...  a good layout will make them want to click on the mp3.

good luck!

Wellington, New Zealand

Thanks smile Most of these free website things don't have much customizable stuff. Just a bunch of templates you see on pretty much every website. I figure that the part that people would first look at is the banner.

rochester, ny
animalstyle wrote:

music playing in the background is an annoying thing i'd say...  always give the user the option of turning the shit off and on because it's just annoying when shit starts playing and you can't shut it off.  i understand you want people to hear something...  a good layout will make them want to click on the mp3.

amen.

Sweden

I'd suggest paying for web hosting and then upload Wordpress as your main site. Wordpress is a great skeleton that you can customize your site with. There's also thousands of themes for it. I have always used wordpress, my current site is very simple though but that's the way I like it: http://robpoke.com

animalstyle wrote:

music playing in the background is an annoying thing i'd say...

thats true, but flash intros are even worse big_smile

uhajdafdfdfa
Apricorn wrote:

I've tried lots of options. The one I have is too slow and too basic.
-I don't like templates
-I want something really customizable
-Something to upload my music to

It really sounds like you would be better with some hosting space and making your own site! For HTML editors you can just use notepad or whatever.

Philly, PA, USA

yeah, you can start with a template and totally muck around with it, they usually give you the html/css for whatever template you're using

Unsubscribe
Robpoke wrote:

I'd suggest paying for web hosting and then upload Wordpress as your main site. Wordpress is a great skeleton that you can customize your site with. There's also thousands of themes for it. I have always used wordpress,

Ditto!

Wellington, New Zealand

@Ant1 and pixls
Yeah that's what I've been doing, but sometimes the one I'm on is really bad and it doesn't save, so all the changes I made have to start over, and you have to refresh if the background has been changed since you last viewed the website, but I really like the little html editor in it. Does anyone know of a good html web hoster?

Last edited by Apricorn (Aug 8, 2010 7:42 pm)

Italy

Agree with the others, you should try Wordpress! Get yourself a domain, with hosting, and a template to start with (or learn how to create one from scratch). You can do a lot with wp... my portfolio (http://www.papernoise.net/) for instance was made using wp and a template I bough from the web.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

Is it a blog, or an artist website, or something else?

Wordpress, tumblr and notepad are the three best things you can use.
Which you use will depend on what your website is for.

If you're really lazy, you can draw your website, scan it and slice it. (http://10kfreemen.com)

I believe simplicity is key.

Wellington, New Zealand

All I want is to transfer my website from the html i'm on to a new one. I just want a simple html uploader that is fast and easy to edit pages.

York, Yorkshire

Wordpress + Artisteer = WIN

uhajdafdfdfa
Apricorn wrote:

All I want is to transfer my website from the html i'm on to a new one. I just want a simple html uploader that is fast and easy to edit pages.

I am really confused about what you are saying. I think what most people (me included) are recommending is either using something like wordpress, or making your own website in something like Notepad.

http://www.google.co.uk/#q=web+hosting

For "html uploader" I don't really know what this is but I use an FTP client to upload html files that I already made. An online "html uploader" where you edit the html from within your browser is an interesting idea. The only one I can think of is google sites: sites.google.com , but they are fairly restrictive with what you can and can't include on your page.

Unsubscribe

wordpress has html editors, you cna jsut copy the html code into that and update as needed.