Wellington, NZ

The other day I was playing pokémon platinum on my R4 card when suddenly the DS shut off.  When trying to reboot, the screen flashes white and shuts down again.  When I plugged it into AC power the orange charging light flashed on then turned off, and didn't come back on.

Any idea what caused this?  How to fix it?

Minneapolis

Act of God. If you live in the UK then you should know R4's are illegal and the Queen and her ministers have been making incantations to destroy all DS using R4. smile

Actually, I have no idea. My guess is probably some kind of corruption in the onboard non-volatile storage area, aka, bricking. If you had a programmer device and a JTAG cable you could probably open it back up and un-brick it.

EDIT: as for cause, could be anything from a maliciously modified ROM to improperly seated contacts to complete fluke. Also a possibility- recent Nintendo updates which detect the presence of R4 and consequently kill your DS, which has been threatened by them in the past but AFAIK never carried out. But you never know.

Last edited by arfink (Aug 10, 2010 5:24 pm)

BK

That quick white flashing behavior is also what happens when one of the ribbon cables isn't connected properly, if i remember correctly. So its possible something got jostled out of place or ripped, or your top screen module died. (or bottom, possibly). Maybe open it up and check the ribbon cables?

Wellington, NZ
Kris k wrote:

That quick white flashing behavior is also what happens when one of the ribbon cables isn't connected properly, if i remember correctly. So its possible something got jostled out of place or ripped, or your top screen module died. (or bottom, possibly). Maybe open it up and check the ribbon cables?

I'll give this a try I suppose as I have no other options really.

And R4 is still legal in the states, where I am.  But I would have pinned it as probable cause if I had just updated firmware, or something, but I've been using this ROM (which could have been bugged, I suppose) and the current setup for about a week now.

Minneapolis

Kirs K's suggestion sounds more legit.

Milan, Italy

i had this same problem for some weeks. (after a DS shell replacing)
then it randomly came back to work with no reason. lol.

Maybe try to find someone who could borrow you another DS battery (from his working DS) and/or another charger.

Last edited by arottenbit (Aug 10, 2010 5:45 pm)

Wellington, NZ

I opened it up.  And immediately noticed that one of the ribbon cable connectors had some corrosion.  It was green on two of the pins.  So I unplug it and clean everything down with rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush.  But the ribbon cable doesn't look too great, it looks like there was a short circuit that burned the cable itself.

On the left side there, see.  I don't think that's normal....

Last edited by OwenMcGarry (Aug 10, 2010 5:47 pm)

BK

Might as well see if it works...but hey, if not, theres always the possibility of just replacing that part. that's the bottom screen right? that one's WAY easier than the top screen to replace. dealextreme has them for cheap.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Could be one of the fuses.  That behavoir is exactly what happened to mine and I fixed it by bridging the blown fuse.

http://m3wiki.com/index.php/Nintendo_DS … wn_fuse%29

Wellington, NZ

it didn't work, and I do think it's the top screen I'm afraid...

Tacoma WA

you done played that DS into the ground boy

Minneapolis

Well, both are repairable. Don't sweat it too bad. smile

Wellington, NZ

I'll look into that fuse thing.  And I only got the DS a week and a half ago!  $20 at a flea market!

Melbourne, Australia
jefftheworld wrote:

Could be one of the fuses.  That behavoir is exactly what happened to mine and I fixed it by bridging the blown fuse.

http://m3wiki.com/index.php/Nintendo_DS … wn_fuse%29

If you or a friend has a multi-meter then use this to check the continuity of the fuses.

Wellington, NZ

The fuses are fine, just tested them

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

you can get a cheap ds w/ a broken case on ebay.
i fixed a few ppls broken screens w/ "used" ones from there before.