rochester, ny

so, i've been using a MIDINES live for a while but have just gotten in to famitracker and using the NES to play back the nsf files and all that. but in order to navigate my powerpak, i'd need to bring some sort of tv to shows and that's pretty lame, i think. so i decided to build the screen into the NES itself.

i'm really happy with how it's come out. next step is to install a lithium ion battery for it to run off of so i don't even need to plug it in. and then potentiometers for the three sound outputs. i also want to install a video/sound input so you could plug other things into it and use the screen for other stuff too.

here's some pictures of the process -
http://revengineers.tumblr.com/post/966 … -i-added-a

and here's a video of it in action -
http://revengineers.tumblr.com/post/966 … here-it-is

and if tumblr is being lame (like it has been this morning) here's the vimeo link -
http://vimeo.com/14200285

let me know what you think!

New York City

You should change the lighting to LED instead of the tube it comes from. It will consume MUCH LESS and live longer.

rochester, ny
akira^8GB wrote:

You should change the lighting to LED instead of the tube it comes from. It will consume MUCH LESS and live longer.

i'll definitely do this before i make it run off batteries.

New York City

You need to put some resistors or something there or it will be a bit dark, i didnt do this on mine and i kinda wish I did tongue
Teh info is all online and it's easy to do, if I managed to make it, anyone can big_smile

Milwaukee, WI

Nice!  I was actually thinking of doing this, as opposed to just screwing it on ala Anamanaguchi.  This should be helpful!

rochester, ny
Theta_Frost wrote:

Nice!  I was actually thinking of doing this, as opposed to just screwing it on ala Anamanaguchi.  This should be helpful!

if you ever have any questions, i'd gladly help out as much as i could.

Brooklyn, NY

Looks sharp! Nicely done man.

rochester, ny

thanks batsly!

here's a picture of the mod i took tonight -

Yuma, AZ

oh man i used to play the crap out of that tmnt game...

Neo Jersey

that is freakin sweet. do mine pls lol. if you made it so it flipped up/out thatd be amazing

PDX, PDX

Good work!  You've inspired me.

rochester, ny
HPizzle wrote:

that is freakin sweet. do mine pls lol. if you made it so it flipped up/out thatd be amazing

have you seen anamanaguchi's psone screen mod?

Michigan
nickmaynard wrote:
HPizzle wrote:

are both mods pretty easy?

is there a tut for the flip-up psone screen anywhere?

rochester, ny
noisewaves wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

are both mods pretty easy?

is there a tut for the flip-up psone screen anywhere?

there aren't tutorials for either specifically, i don't think. i'm sure other people must have done my mod and anamanaguchi's mods before but i've never seen them.

to do something like this, you only need to consider two things. 1. the video signal (and audio, if you're going to use the psone's built in speakers like i did) and 2. the power.

1. this is as simple as it could possibly get. open the psone screen up and at the bottom of the main board, you'll see two little bundles of wires. check this picture -

socket #2, wire #1 is the composite video in. all you have to do is solder that wire to the video out of the NES. i soldered it to the underside of the RF box. then i soldered socket #2, wire #4 to the ground that was right next to the video thing underneath the RF box. that's all i did to get the video signal going, so easy.

2. this is a little trickier, depending on how you want to do it. right now, my screen has a different power source than the nes. i have two power cords coming out of my nintendo. this is something i will be changing soon, so i can't really offer advice yet on having them use the same power source.

if you don't mind them using separate power sources, here's how i did it. go to radio shack and buy one of their generic ac adapters. these usually have a little switch on them that let you change how many volts they are. make sure the one you buy has a setting for 7.5 volts.

these usually have different tips you can buy, so that they can fit different devices. you're going to need to buy the power jack that you'll mount on the NES also, so it doesn't matter what size you buy of either the tip or the jack, as long as you buy the same size.

so, drill a hole in the back of the nes, screw the power jack on. solder socket #1 wires #1 and #2 to the appropriate spots on that power jack.

on my NES, i have a power button that turns the screen on and off. this is just a simple switch that is in between the power jack and socket #1 wire #1. easy.

all of the necessary components are available at any radio shack. there's usually someone there that'll be smart enough to answer questions about this kind of stuff too.

if any of this was unclear, ask more questions!

Minneapolis

I have done so much stuff with those little PSOne screens, they are very very cool. Just FYI, it is possible to hook up the screen to a simple 5v input, and then this can in turn be put in parallel with the NES's 5v system. That way you can just use the regular PSU and don't have to use two. As for batteries, you should know by now that the NES is unique in that it can take both AC and DC as long as it's a voltage between 5 and 10 volts. I like to hook up a 7.2V RC car battery for most projects which require portable power. They are cheap and easy to swap out. Get the kind with a wire and molex clip on the end, so you can make an adapter for the NES. Then you don't have to internally mount it.

A 2000mAh battery lasts an average of 2 hours in my NES/PSOne combo setup. If I'm only using the battery to power the screen I can run it for nearly twice as long.

Seattle, WA
arfink wrote:

Just FYI, it is possible to hook up the screen to a simple 5v input, and then this can in turn be put in parallel with the NES's 5v system. That way you can just use the regular PSU and don't have to use two.

I wouldn't use the stock NES adapter for this.  It would put too much load on the PSU.  You're gonna want to have at least a 1A current for this (unless the stock NES adapter has that already...  I can't remember.)  Either way, you're going to want more current than you would if it were just the NES.  Especially for batteries.