Philly

So I walked into a comic store a couple days ago.   

From what I know, comics are a very expensive hobby.  I had no intention of buying anything that day.  The workers recommended me a graphic novel called The Unwritten so I bought it because it was $10 and figured I could give it to a friend if I didn't like it.  2 days later I found myself buying the second graphic novel of The Unwritten.  The next one doesn't come out until next year, and I don't feel like spending money on the individual comics. 

So in the mean time, I'm looking for other graphic novels.  My friend let me borrow some of Y: The Last Man and I'm really enjoying it.  He also lent me a Batman graphic novel by Frank Miller, but I'm mainly more interested in non super hero ones (but I'm not opposed to them I guess).  After these, I plan on borrowing my girlfriend's Scott Pilgrim, but basically what I'm getting at:

Can anyone recommend any good (preferably completed/standalone) graphic novels? 

P.S.  I realize I always make these kinds of threads.  Sorry about that.

EDIT:  I'm actually going to make this into a list of what people recommend so I don't have to search through the thread later and neither do other people!

The Unwritten
Y: The Last Man
Scott Pilgrim
Transmetropolitan
A Contract With God

Last edited by Ro-Bear (Aug 18, 2010 2:54 am)

BK

I haven't read toooo many but my brother let me borrow Transmetropolitan and I thought it was pretty awesome.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

there is often a lot of fuss over A Contract With God.

EDIT: also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_gr … rd-winning

Last edited by 10k (Aug 18, 2010 2:57 am)

hardcore, Australia

Marvel did a bunch of things a year or so ago that I quite liked.

Namely, a Moby Dick adaptation and the noir series (i only have spiderman noir though)

Other than that i like to read compilations more than anything because I like to look at lots of pretty things and i like being able to jsut pick up wherever and finish a story in a few minutes. Flight is probably my favourite series of these, and Robot is ok too.

Brazil
10k wrote:

there is often a lot of fuss over A Contract With God.]

I love this one. With Maus, of course. I dunno if it counts, but AKIRA.

And dude, you should totally read frank miller's Batman. And I go beyond saying read Frank Miller's works. Sin City is fantastic, fuck the movie (which is good, but you know, the comic is better). And that reminds me of Watchmen but I never read or watched the movie.

Tacoma WA

watchmen of course

Brazil

Just remembered that Ronin by Frank Miller is really good if you're into cyberbiopunk and samurais.

hardcore, Australia

If we're talking series, get kurosawa corpse delivery service.

Steampunk transformers (called hearts of steel or something) - although a fun idea was terrible. don't get this. No optimus and the story is finished in 4 panels.

Wellington, New Zealand

The original Dragon Ball series, I got every book while over in America. you can get 3-in-1 for $20 each and theres 5 to collect (the 5th has 4-in-1 and is $20)
The Dr. Slump series, Pretty hard to find. I read a few books on the internet and thought it was really good.
Judge Jredd

Godzilladelph

i would like to know what this kurosawa corpse is wink

obligatory Akira, and of course the watchmen. i read the novel before the movie came out (watchmen) and never actually saw the movie; if you can get around the stupid popularity that sprung up, it's actually a great read about antiheros and power struggles and the meaning of life etc. i was never a big fan of the cheesy american stuff, i know good western graphic novels exist, but never got around to getting the coin to check them out.
but yeah, if you're ok with manga, i have a shit ton of recommendations for you

rochester, ny

i'd recommend the walking dead by robert kirkman and tony moore / charlie adlard.

Brooklyn NY US

Torso by Brian Michael Bendis, a "true crime" style series (collected into a standalone trade paperback) about the Cleveland Torso Murderer. I loved it. Gave my copy to a friend who I thought would love it, with the intention of buying another copy for myself later, never got around to it. I should do that.

Ed The Happy Clown by Chester Brown. Keeps you off-guard by being batshit dangerously insane, then stuns you with its unexpected tie-up-all-the-crazy-ass-details structural finesse. Involves among other things a sad clown who finds a human hand under his pillow one morning, a man who can't stop shitting, a masturbating squid, magic beans, a cow, and famously, the head of Ronald Reagan showing up on another man's penis.

Philly, PA, USA

The hellboy comics are good, but they're kind of halfway between graphic novels and comic books. i think there are like 10 or so of them right now, i don't know too much about it though

Melbtown, Lolstralia

I can't get enough of Walking Dead .... FUUUUUUU .. so intense like an incredibly good zombie film that goes forever (ok so its a comic but meh)
I also like Frank Millers Batman stuff "Dark Knight Returns" etc

Also PREACHER I really really liked.

Last edited by Dot.AY (Aug 18, 2010 7:41 am)

Chicago, IL USA

Y: The Last Man and Exmachina both by my man BK Vaughn. Some of the best stuff out there IMO. Also: The Pushman and other Stories by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. A totally different graphic novel experience than almost anything else.

England

I really enjoy 2000AD stuff, dunno if its that common in the US though. Judge Dread  n shit like that, but i cant afford any of that shit right now. I've gotten decent stuff from libraries before though, like the Preacher commixxxx.