Geneva, NY

One more thing that is minor/insignificant for some but was really a bummer for me: the arduinoboy doesn't allow for switching between PU1, PU2 and PU1+2 in LSDJ keyboard mode.  That feature came in handy when used in conjunction with the PU2 transpose/tune options in the instrument screen, allowing for detune effects and chords.

Geneva, NY
TmTgr wrote:

One major difference is that lsdjmc2 is just for syncing purpose, whereas with arduinoboy and mGB you can fully control the gameboy's synthesis to play notes etc. Hope this helps.
I type bad when I'm tired.

Also, ^^^^ is wrong.  lsdjmc2 doesn't have an mGB mode, but it still outperforms aurduinoboy in LSDJ keyboard mode as I stated in my above post.  Sucka.

rochester, ny
bleo wrote:
TmTgr wrote:

One major difference is that lsdjmc2 is just for syncing purpose, whereas with arduinoboy and mGB you can fully control the gameboy's synthesis to play notes etc. Hope this helps.
I type bad when I'm tired.

Also, ^^^^ is wrong.  lsdjmc2 doesn't have an mGB mode, but it still outperforms aurduinoboy in LSDJ keyboard mode as I stated in my above post.  Sucka.

i think mgb is way better than the lsdj keyboard mode, personally.

10k wrote:

via little-scale.

Does this help?
or this: http://gameboyaustralia.com/2008/10/so- … y-huh.html ?

YES! This is exactly what I'd been looking for. Many thanks. Sorry if I've inconvenienced anyone. Believe it or not, I've actually read most of the guides available online, but I guess I needed a refresher to clarify some things. I'd not seen this comparison chart before so that pretty much answers my questions.  Thanks again.

Geneva, NY
nickmaynard wrote:
bleo wrote:

i think mgb is way better than the lsdj keyboard mode, personally.

I think they both suck, personally.  mGB is too blah since it has no tables and I hate the fact that all the parameters are controlled via notes, not control change messages.  LSDJ keyboard mode sux cuz everything is quantized.  Johan said he plans on fixing this and beefing up keyboard mode. 

edit: If you want to play shit live, in real time, like a synth, for real... plogue chipsounds VST wins. Period.

Last edited by BLEO (Sep 8, 2010 2:22 pm)

Melbourne, Australia

http://code.google.com/p/arduinoboy/
Seems you can control parameters using cc's.

Geneva, NY
TmTgr wrote:

http://code.google.com/p/arduinoboy/
Seems you can control parameters using cc's.

My bad.  It's been too long since I actually used that shit.  LSDJ keyboard mode was the shit that uses notes:

* LSDJ Slave Mode Midi Note Effects:
          o 48 - C-2 Sends a Sequencer Start Command
          o 49 - C#2 Sends a Sequencer Stop Command
          o 50 - D-2 Toggles Normal Tempo
          o 51 - D#2 Toggles 1/2 Tempo
          o 52 - E-2 Toggles 1/4 Tempo
          o 53 - F-2 Toggles 1/8 Tempo
    * LSDJ Keyboard Mode:
          o 36 - C-1 Mute Pu1 Off/On
          o 37 - C#1 Mute Pu2 Off/On
          o 38 - D-1 Mute Wav Off/On
          o 39 - D#1 Mute Noi Off/On
          o 40 - E-1 Livemode Cue Sequence
          o 41 - F-1 Livemode Cursor Up
          o 42 - F#1 Livemode Cursor Down
          o 43 - G-1 Livemode Cursor Left
          o 44 - G#1 Livemode Cursor Right
          o 45 - A-1 Table Up
          o 46 - A#1 Table Down
          o 47 - B-1 Cue Table

gijs wrote:

what issues have you had with it?

Really nothing too major -- Occasionally, I'll hit the start button and the gameboys will start slightly ahead of Ableton. It'll be out of sync for just a few seconds but they'll eventually all sync up and stay sync'd.

It responds a lot more quickly when used with my hardware drum machine and MicroKORG, so I'm fairly certain that my issue probably has more to do with the software I've got connected to it than the MCG itself. This is why, in my limited brain capacity, I think it might be better to use the software as the master clock instead of controlling it externally.

geldrop

hss2e also has build in MCG b.t.w. http://vimeo.com/13819007

it can also sync as midi slave http://vimeo.com/13705832
in combination with sound from hss it converts midi to lsdj and nanoloop stable to about 190 bpm, without sound from the hss it converts stable the full range.

Tacoma WA

thing i don't like is that nanovoice / nanoloop need transport commands so that i have to be using something with a start stop when using my lsdjmc2

sucks to have to drag a drum machine just for midi clock / transport hmm

sweden
infradead wrote:

thing i don't like is that nanovoice / nanoloop need transport commands so that i have to be using something with a start stop when using my lsdjmc2

sucks to have to drag a drum machine just for midi clock / transport hmm

Not sure I follow. If you want nanoloop and nanovoice to sync with each other why not use a ordinary link cable? And if you want to sync them with midi clock you need something that produces a midi clock signal, like a drummachine (just as you said).
nanoloop doesnt require a midi start/stop, it only needs midi clock. And if you want to sync nanoloop to an external clock without bringing a drummachine along then maybe somthing like the MCG would be more suitable.

But as I said Im not quite sure I understood what you meant with your post smile

Also I am not sure how lsdjmc2 handles nanoloop sync.

Tacoma WA

my nord g1 will output midi clock but doesn't have any transport. 
so i had to bring along a drum machine to be able to send midi start commands to nanoloop 1.3 to get it going.   i'd set it to sync but i need to tell it to start to get it playing.  the sync is good.  its really an issue with my particular setup and what i'm trying to do.

rochester, ny
bleo wrote:

edit: If you want to play shit live, in real time, like a synth, for real... plogue chipsounds VST wins. Period.

or midi nes! smile

Geneva, NY

Oh man!  Most of the white hair on my head is all thanks to MIDINES.  Stuck notes FTL!  The rubber band effect on the DPCMs is unparalleled though... hmm, I wonder if Johan could get something snapping like that in LSDJ keyboard mode... [/lightbulb]

We gotta jam for realz sometime, Nick!

Chicago IL

my one problem with the arduino, is that if youre using something like ableton as a master clock, and want to to sync the arduino up to it, they have to start at the same time. you can't just drop something from lsdj into whatever's already going on in ableton.

Los Angeles
Saskrotch wrote:

my one problem with the arduino, is that if youre using something like ableton as a master clock, and want to to sync the arduino up to it, they have to start at the same time. you can't just drop something from lsdj into whatever's already going on in ableton.

I would bet that's the same problem with all. yet again its arduino & open-source, meaning at least the end user has the option to fix it how they see fit. wink  ... Really there is no excuse for users not to learn a bit and start hacking away. It's not like I went to college to learn this stuff- It can be done.

I will take the time now and say Arduinoboy was originally developed because my lsdjmc2 never really worked well, while my old ninja sync cable (8 years old- you probably never heard of it)  worked perfectly. Might of been something specific with mine but it always fell out of sync, and it seemed silly to require a power supply.