Wheeling, WV

My good friends (and future bandmates) are a duo called The South Seas Sneak in Pittsburgh.

They asked me to direct their music video.

I obliged.

I decided to take the painstaking task of recording this all in stop motion with my Game Boy Camera.

In case you don't have a Game Boy Camera and don't know how hellish of a process this is. The Game Boy Camera only holds thirty images, which turns into less than five seconds worth of video in this particular case. Which means I had to take thirty shots at a time, dump the sav onto my computer, then take thirty more.

After and entire weekend of shooting, I then had to go onto the internet to convert the images in the sav file to actual images. Then download those images and sort them into the stop motion software to make the video.

This still isn't finished and probably won't be for a while. There are still some things to take into account, such as the possibility of color filters, the time of the song they choose to use (they said to make the video two minutes, which it is exactly, but I may have to shoot more or cut something out), etc.

However, this is the rough scene sequence. Tell me what you think.

http://hotmessization.tumblr.com/post/1 … -the-south

P.S. If you think it looks like the doings of a no-budget amateur, that's because it is.

Last edited by hotmessization (Sep 7, 2010 11:14 am)

uhajdafdfdfa

looks pretty cool! although there are far easier ways to dither a video to 4-color greyscale for sure big_smile

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

just as a note...
if yer in the pittsburgh area,
and like "nautical" themed music,
check out: The Bloody Seamen

hilarious pirate core ;D
sorry for the horrible live cam sound

Last edited by xero (Sep 7, 2010 4:36 pm)

bloody semen

Melbourne, Australia

Wow it looks like such a painful process. I think an extra gb camera or two might come in handy.

San Jose, Ca

that looks great!  definitely link us when the whole thing is finished too

Wheeling, WV
TmTgr wrote:

Wow it looks like such a painful process. I think an extra gb camera or two might come in handy.

I thought of this... after shooting was over.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

One half of the band likes it, I'm waiting to talk to the other.

Anahiem, CA

You sir are a patient man. Thats awesome.

Tacoma WA

yah.  that's so god damn cool

))<>((
hotmessization wrote:

P.S. If you think it looks like the doings of a no-budget amateur, that's because it is.

I think it looks like the doings of a GameBoy camera lol.

And it looks great. ;D

Wheeling, WV

After waiting a year for the band to record for the album and pick a song, it is finished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TCyZqL5w4M

Whitley Bay, England

That's awesome!

Though if you had a Super Game Boy, and a way to get the output of your SNES into your laptop, you could have just actually filmed with it rather than stop motion smile

Wheeling, WV

Output of an SNES into a laptop would be fairly easy, but then the problem lies of powering the SNES without any ready outlets in most of those filming locations.

Whitley Bay, England

Ah yeah, good point haha

buffalo, NY

awesome

rochester, ny

oh man, i know the pain of making a gameboy camera music video all too well.

http://vimeo.com/19868821

great job dude. it's a real pain in the ass, for sure.