I was wondering what the interest would be for letting a small office area in London to have a Chip Space funded by membership.

Members would be able to come to the space and use it for projects like modding, recording, workshops or even for a place to hang out.

This is mostly for UK chippers but any input is good input so would any of you be interested?

Liverpool, UK

How much would it be? How easy would it be to get to, from the main transports into London (as in London Euston station, Stanstead Airport etc)

enough to pay the bills (I dont know) and 1 train from waterloo or something.

London, UK

Renting a central London premises is going to go *way* beyond what you'll reasonably expect to make back through donations/membership, and that's without equipment costs, furniture, electricity, security etc.

A better bet might be to see if there's any existing electronics/music/artspaces in London keen to work with you on something, though I can't think of any off the top of my head.

matt.nida wrote:

Renting a central London premises is going to go *way* beyond what you'll reasonably expect to make back through donations/membership, and that's without equipment costs, furniture, electricity, security etc.

A better bet might be to see if there's any existing electronics/music/artspaces in London keen to work with you on something, though I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Small offices in Camden are around £300 a month which is pretty reasonable so assuming we would have 10 members with a cost of membership being £30 all will be well, I have not looked that deep into office space but there appears to be some affordable spots here and there.

London, UK
Flopps wrote:

Small offices in Camden are around £300 a month which is pretty reasonable so assuming we would have 10 members with a cost of membership being £30 all will be well, I have not looked that deep into office space but there appears to be some affordable spots here and there.

There's a rash of other costs though that you're not looking at, including tax, security, insurance. Plus you'll be hard pushed to find office space in a shared block that'll let you blast out music as much as you'd want.

Also, for £360 a year I'd rather buy my own equipment and use it in the comfort of my own home, than be paying a lease on keeping some shared equipment in an office somewhere.

It's a nice idea, but if it was as straightforward or feasible as you make out, you'd have these kind of artspaces all over London.

Wellington, NZ

open a venue or find a small one that will let you use it as a workshop and such during the day