shitbird wrote:
catskull wrote:

IDK how shitpost.NSF exists and someone thinks chiptune is dead

exactly, i wasn't sayin it was dead. I got a lil emotional there haha, and I am admitting it's me with the problem. If I don't like the way things are, then make a way.

Oh yeah! Wasn't responding to you specifically, just makin a general goof. Thought I agree, the migration to facebook groups is unfortunate but understandable. They have the unique ability to hide everything you want to see and show everything you want hidden (even try and find a post from a few days ago? good luck!) But I get it, it's just where everyone is.

e.s.c. wrote:
Imaginary wrote:

Saying "thing X is cancelled due to lack of interest", is usually a signal from your own ego to alert you that you are losing interest in said thing. I hear musicians pushing out new work all the time. Is the scene as good as it could be? I dunno, what's that supposed to look like? Make music, consume music, support the musicians you like. Boom, done.

for the events, many of the people who are running them can't afford to lose money on them and venues usually cost money, so in those cases it's legit to eventually cut your loses if you keep ending up in the red. some friends of mine were doing breakcore events roughly quarterly in Chicago, but they were losing hundreds of dollars on each event, so now they're not really doing them anymore. there's no ego or loss of interest really on their parts, they're just adults with jobs that don't pay enough to eat substantial losses on a regular basis. especially since there's a lot of stress involved in organizing anything like that

Word dude, events are a whole different ballgame. We used to play mostly free house shows because dealing with local promotion companies was such a painful experience. The margins are truly miserable for anything that's not either "The Next Big Thing" or "About To Be The Next Big Thing".
With any very niche scene you're kinda just stuck accepting that you'll end up with marginal opportunity to see live examples.
Mad respect for anybody who goes out on a limb to make small local events happen.

I suppose the aforementioned post was more of a philosophical shunt of the standard "chiptune is dead/dying" theme that seems to underly the entire community. "The world is ending" says the man who is letting his world end. For the rest of us it's Tuesday and we have to be at work in an hour.