rochester, ny

i always thought this mod was kind of neat -
http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/nes … .php#reset

but i never did it because i never really had the excuse. but yesterday i bought a bunch of guitar pedals to use with my NES and i remembered this mod.

could you use one of those amp channel switcher pedals with the remote reset mod, so you can have a reset button as a floor pedal?

i'm talking about a pedal like these -
http://www.ubersonic.com.au/wp-content/ … TL2811.gif

http://my.pclink.com/~rlovgren/Fender%2 … switch.jpg

this would be kind of useful for me because sometimes at shows i'll have to reset but i'll be busy playing guitar or doing something else with my hands.

anyways, any thoughts on this?

Chicago IL

do it or dont

as far as i know, those foot switches are just beefed up on/off switches. I have one for an rc-2 and as far as i can see its just a switch so you should be fine

Minneapolis

I would say do two: one as a toggle which could control power, one as a momentary for the reset.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

I did this type of mod to a game boy once for the start button a few years back.... here's a picture of it.

just a simple momentary footpedal pushbutton. wired it up to a 1/4" jack and then an 1/8" jack on the dmg... (same spot as my audio mod jack location)
Works very nicely. it can be wired for normally open or normally closed.. which was nice.

in fact.. if anyone wants they.. they can have it for cost of shipping ($5-6)

Last edited by low-gain (Sep 9, 2010 9:20 pm)

rochester, ny
low-gain wrote:

I did this type of mod to a game boy once for the start button a few years back.... here's a picture of it.

just a simple momentary footpedal pushbutton. wired it up to a 1/4" jack and then an 1/8" jack on the dmg... (same spot as my audio mod jack location)
Works very nicely. it can be wired for normally open or normally closed.. which was nice.

in fact.. if anyone wants they.. they can have it for cost of shipping ($5-6)

what's the casing made out of? if it's sturdy enough for me, i'll buy it.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

i recycled an old DOD D.I. it's made of casted steel i believe. think it's too heavy for aluminum.
I recommend maybe putting in a junked XLR connector to fill the hole on the edge (as you can see in the image).
nothing major.. but it's there. haha I can toss one in the box w/ it if i can find one if you want it.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

looking at the pedal again.. it has another 1/4" hole for the 1/4" jack... you could hook up another jack to the normally closed side so it was wired for both.. might be kinda cool. so depending on which jack you plug into, the switch would be normally open or normally open.

Last edited by low-gain (Sep 9, 2010 11:05 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

tell ya what.. make it $15 shipped and i'll wire it up for ya. wink

Keep in mind too that these jacks are Stereo. So your jack on your NES would need to be stereo. that way you're using the T and R . and the sleeve can be used as it should be.. for ground.

rochester, ny

sold!

so i'll wire what would normally be the left and right pins of the stereo jack to the two points of the reset button. as seen in this picture -

where should i ground it? just anywhere i can?

where should i paypal the cash?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

Ground to one of the main ground points on the PCB.. additional tips/donations are always welcome wink

PM me too with your address but you can paypal to: logan [at] lowgain-audio [dot]  com

Last edited by low-gain (Sep 10, 2010 9:48 pm)

rochester, ny

i did the mod tonight and it rules. i posted a little how-to on it over at my band's tumblr - http://revengineers.tumblr.com/post/109 … set-mod-so

pedal up, NES on.

pedal down, NES off.

Last edited by nickmaynard (Sep 11, 2010 12:52 am)

rochester, ny
low-gain wrote:

Ground to one of the main ground points on the PCB.. additional tips/donations are always welcome wink

PM me too with your address but you can paypal to: logan [at] lowgain-audio [dot]  com

thanks for the tip man. unfortunately i changed my mind about the pedal. now that i've done it, i realized i can just use any normal sustain pedal for a keyboard, and between me and my girlfriend (not to mention my band) i have like, 6 of them. sorry dude.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

you dick!
j/k  I heart U

nice job.