babylon

ok so i just underclocked my first gamebwoy, i trying to write music within 190 to 225 bpm (raggajungle and brakecorz to be exact) but i seem to be confused about something, so if the bpm was set to 190 lets say, then it would be actually playing at 95 bpm, i thought i could counteract this by setting the groove on all channels to 3/3 but if im correct this only speeds up when the notes are triggered and not the tempo of the actual notes, some instrument i havent noticed a diffrence with but others sound wierd, specifically my sweep kicks seem to click sometimes. if this is a limitation of using the mod thats cool but could someone confirm/clarify this for me.

Sweeeeeeden
walter b. gentle wrote:

ok so i just underclocked my first gamebwoy

Your soundbwoy massive? wink

Yes, you're right. When underclocking, everything runs at 50% speed (unless you underclock more than that. wink ) which includes tables and sweeps as well. Sweeps, as well pitch bends (P and L commands) are of course not continuous, but consist of small changes at a certain interval. On an underclocked gamebwoy massive boom boom boom, the time between each update is doubled. I recommend you to sync two boys and use the normal speed one as master. Use the underclocked one only for things that it is needed for, like bass-heavy stuff. Conserve CPU cycles. Avoid kits, use sweep on pu1 instead of the P command when you can. etc. If you're careful not to overload the CPU it will probably work fine.

babylon

thanks, yeah my intent was sync up two but the barebones one that nonfinite sent me seems busted ( the power turns on and off and im not sure i have the know how to find out why, maybe somethings loose?) so i underclocked one i already had. the only problem was i found out afterwards that the link port doesnt work (once again not sure if can figure out how to fix this and i confirmed it was the port by plugging in my keyboard and its a no go) so i thought i'd have a go at trying some d'n'b stuff on the one.  on another note with the kits, i would think in theory if one recorded their samples a 2x speed then they would play normally or would it sound wonky.

Chicago IL

just so you know, groove determines the distance between each step. 6/6 is six ticks, 3/3 is three. so you'll be triggering off notes in half the time as you were in 6/6.

also you can have 16 steps in the groove page, so if you wanted the kicks to be a bit longer, you'd put your groove setting like this (assuming you're using a generic ragga beat (if you wanted to this for some reason)

New York City
walter b. gentle wrote:

but i seem to be confused about something, so if the bpm was set to 190 lets say, then it would be actually playing at 95 bpm,

Use MIDI Sync. Your Game Boy will play at whatever BPM the master clock will say, even if it is underclocked.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 17, 2010 11:49 pm)

Chicago IL

my gb always crashes when i use midi sync

but that's cause i like to write at 480 bpm on my computer

Sweeeeeeden

I don't think that the serial port is b0rk. It might be that the timings for the keyboard serial interface gets fucked up with an underclocked boy. Can anyone confirm?

babylon

huh, well the only documentation i've seen of someone actually syncing them was on an old post on 8bc were 2 members stated that they had done so (reliable? meh). but heres what i have tried, keep in mind i made the mistake of not checking if the port worked before underclocking it. but after doing so i linked  them but it didnt work with the underbwoy as slave or master. i made sure the cable worked by syncing the two other bwoys (one has a power problem but confirmed the cable was fine). i tried plugging in my keyboard which does work with the other boys (some of the lights  come on when its being used as well) but when plugged into the underbwoy no lights or anything. this is whats leading  me to believe it's the port but if thats so i'll have to do some research and see if theres anything that can be done or underclock another one and see if the same problem exist.

babylon

@saskrotch     yes me thinks me would want to do this smile pretty cool.
@akira8gb    i dont know if a midi sync would be feasible ,  you need an arduinoboy? (or something similar)?
@nitro2k01  yes, bloodclot gamebwoy soundbwoy massiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive

Wellington, NZ

set the groove to 6 3 or 3 6, I forget which

Last edited by OwenMcGarry (Sep 18, 2010 10:42 pm)