WOW MAN!

I'm trying to get Live to set the session tempo to a .wav recording of a live drummer. I've trimmed part of the recording into a 2-bar loop and am dragging and dropping the sample into live but it utterly refuses to set the tempo correctly. I've done it a million times before using whole (MP3) tracks and it always calculates the tempo correctly from the first track you import/drag into the track view.

Anyone know why it's refusing to cooperate before I go mental? :S

WOW MAN!

Hmmm. Seems (from reading) that the tempo detection is sometimes flaky. Just been through a long winded tutorial explaining how to get the Seg. BPM correct manually which is a start.

There still doesn't appear to be a "Set the Session Tempo to the tempo of this Segment" command though?

Unsubscribe

I think that only works in sequencer mode.. it will sync the session tempo to the tempo of thre first seqeuncer track.. my memory is fuzzy though...

in live mode you can rename the clip to have the bpm, and it will force it to use that tempo when you play the clip..

http://books.google.com/books?id=WcRsib … mp;f=false

WOW MAN!

Thanks prof, I'll give those a try.

Anyone got much experience using the Looper instrument? The manual claims that it calculates the BPM of an incoming signal on the fly but from testing I've done it seems to mostly get a tempo that is 1/4 of the recorded material e.g. if the source is 120bpm, Looper will detect it to be 30. I can see the logic but I can't see how you could tweak the detection to make it get better results.

brighton, uk

Make sure that the warp mode is set to complex pro.
Set ableton to the tempo you want to timestretch to.
Right click the first beat and select warp from here (start at tempo).
Jobs done.

Edit: If all else fails manually set the warp markers on your audio, but complex pro ensures that the tone of the sound stays at the same pitch if you stretch it and retains a crisp sound.

Last edited by CMDR (Oct 4, 2010 2:14 am)