Sea of Souls

What trackers can output MOD files? I'm playing with GB studio and it only accepts MOD files.

Abandoned on Fire

Pretty sure all the og "demoscene" trackers used that format. So like screamtracker, protracker, etc. Maybe just Google "tracker mod files".

NUMBSKULL

The official gb studio docs have a great page on music: https://www.gbstudio.dev/docs/music/

OpenMPT might be a good option?

Sea of Souls

It looks like a great page until you open one of the programs. xD Virtually unusable on modern hardware in spite of them all having x64 installers. egr is right about demoscene trackers in that these were all designed to run on a 640x480 monitor. OpenMPT does look like the best option though. I'll look at that one next.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Orgia Mode wrote:

It looks like a great page until you open one of the programs. xD Virtually unusable on modern hardware in spite of them all having x64 installers. egr is right about demoscene trackers in that these were all designed to run on a 640x480 monitor. OpenMPT does look like the best option though. I'll look at that one next.

Protracker and Fasttracker II both run perfectly fine on windows and have scaling options for modern displays. Their UIs are simple and blocky, but they're both designed to be used heavily with hotkeys, so they're far from unusable.

You might not like that type of software, but I don't want people reading this to think those programs are actually incompatible or difficult to use on a modern Windows or Linux machine.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Mar 31, 2020 5:54 pm)

Bratislava, Slovakia

I still use MED Soundstudio (former OctaMED from Amiga scene), it is great and fonts can be scaled, when game developer need s3m or mod i convert it in Modplug tracker. When composing i dont use any extra command except volume. And now MED Soundstudio is free, somewhere in Facebook is download link in user groups.

Last edited by martin_demsky (Apr 4, 2020 7:16 am)

Is the old Milkytracker still supported?  Anyway that might be another option.   If the Protracker/FT2 modern remakes don't work for you the originals run just fine under emulators. (I've been using FT2 in Dosbox for years)  One extra note on OpenMPT: If you're trying to beat sync your track against a sequencer this has a super-accurate BPM mode included, some of the older trackers tend to drift over time.

Bratislava, Slovakia

ProTracker and FastTracker II clones are here: https://16-bits.org

I use sometimes that ProTracker, it works exactly as on Amiga, because on iPad that mod tracker Vivid Tracker can't load samples, can be loaded only from premade mod files, so i sometimes prepare these "samples in mod" in that ProTracker.

And that OpenMPT is really good tracker, afaik even veterans like Skaven/Future Crew use it.

Last edited by martin_demsky (Apr 4, 2020 3:58 pm)

Montreal, Canada

Googling "tracker mod files" would have saved 5 people the time they took to give you the answer you rejected because of your inability to run dos software in windows.

Just saying. Learn to interweb.

Sea of Souls

Quarantine got you salty?

Mexico City
Orgia Mode wrote:

Quarantine got you salty?

such a shit attitude

Sweden
martin_demsky wrote:

ProTracker and FastTracker II clones are here: https://16-bits.org

I use sometimes that ProTracker, it works exactly as on Amiga, because on iPad that mod tracker Vivid Tracker can't load samples, can be loaded only from premade mod files, so i sometimes prepare these "samples in mod" in that ProTracker.

And that OpenMPT is really good tracker, afaik even veterans like Skaven/Future Crew use it.

There's actually two other ways to get samples to VividTracker, so you don't need to depend on premade mods:

1. VividTracker can open wav-files from other apps. Try open a 16-bit stereo wav-file from e.g. the Files app or the AudioShare app and select "Open in VividTracker". The sample gets down converted to mono and 8-bit. If the sample is longer than what is allowed in the mod-format (64 kB), that part is shown in red to remind you that it won't be played and won't be stored. If you select the "STEREO" button on screen 5B, it will split the left and the right channel into two samples. If you change the NOTE on screen 5A, you can change the sampling speed (for instance, a long drum loop may need to be downsampled).

2. VividTracker supports AudioCopy, so you can copy samples from other apps such as Korg Gadget. If you have AudioCopy installed, you can press the "AudioPST" on Screen 5A. VividTracker will open AudioCopy, where you will find all the samples you have copied from other apps. Once you have selected your sample, it will be copied back to VividTracker. Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_HUEvRz2lk

Last edited by VividTracker (Apr 12, 2020 7:51 am)

Czech Republic

Shame there's no native tracker on real hardware compatiblew with GB studio. eg. Carillon, or Musicbox. Or some convertor from these formats to something GB studio can handle with... Shame...

Bratislava, Slovakia

Vivid: yes i know this what you wrote, but i have huge library of 8-bit samples in iff/8svx format from my Amiga days, i think it can be supported loading of samples from Dropbox, iFiles or from native iPadOS file browser, i am not interested in importing samples from that modern synths on iPad. So i have to convert my samples into 16-bit stereo wav files, i will try it in batch processing in SoundForge, but after loading to Vivid tracker it will be again 8-bit mono? Weird.

Sweden
martin_demsky wrote:

Vivid: yes i know this what you wrote, but i have huge library of 8-bit samples in iff/8svx format from my Amiga days, i think it can be supported loading of samples from Dropbox, iFiles or from native iPadOS file browser, i am not interested in importing samples from that modern synths on iPad. So i have to convert my samples into 16-bit stereo wav files, i will try it in batch processing in SoundForge, but after loading to Vivid tracker it will be again 8-bit mono? Weird.

Yes, if you load a 16-bit stereo wav sample it will converted to 8-bit mono since that is the sample format in Amiga mod-files. However, if you press the "STEREO" button on Screen 4B, any stereo sample will then be divided into two 8-bit mono samples.

I will consider adding support to iff/8svx samples. :-)