UK

They all seem to be out of stock everywhere. Kerberos being the most desirable

I'm running cynthcart and sidwizard from an sd2iec and I have an ultimate 64 elite in the works

Can anyone help a brother out? I will pay good coin.

Cheers

Świdnica, Poland

You can make a cheap and easy MIDI  interface by yourself - HerMIDI.

UK

Thanks, my schematic reading isnt the best though so I was hoping i could buy from a seller

I wouldn't recommend the HerMIDI interface unless that is what you want specifically. It uses the serial port.

UK

Yep that's why I seeked out kerberos

I might actually have a MIDI cartridge that I could sell. I would just need to locate it first, and verify that it works. It is an old one of the standard kind (Datel, Passport, or Sequential compatible). They are all basically the same, using the same chip, only using slightly different memory addresses. Most software support all of them. What would you pay for it?

UK

I'm not sure what they're worth. I would be using it to run cynthcart which would have been included in a kerberos cart but I'm assuming I would be able to run cynthcart on an sd2iec, and the devices you listed are on the cynthcart compatibility list, so should be fine

Just a first suggestion but £100-£200? ($120-$250)

Alright, that sounds reasonable. We can discuss the exact price later, when I've located+tested it. I looked around yesterday and it wasn't here in my home, which means it is in another place where I have some computer hardware stored. I will go to that place on Sunday, so after that I will know more.

UK

Sure, thanks

Bratislava, Slovakia

I also wanted C64 MIDI interface, Cynthcart or Ultimate II+ developers should have included it on one cartridge, because i don't like to plug cartridge into another cartridge. Now i run on real C64 only defMON and on my Lenovo notebook i run emulator Vice x64 with Cynthcart 2.0 MIDI version and plugged MIDI keyboard to realtime playing, it works.

I found the MIDI interface. Now I just need to verify its functionality, and I'll hopefully be able to do that tomorrow.

UK

Which type of interface did it turn out to be

Duh.. I made a really silly mistake. OBVIOUSLY I should have gotten a diskdrive as well (or a cartridge port expander) when I picked up the MIDI interface yesterday. I can't load any software to test the MIDI interface now, since the MIDI cartridge occupies the cartridge port, and in these days I always have a 1541U2 cart plugged in there to load software... Silly me. Also, it may take a week or so before I get back to the place where I've got the gear stored. Sorry for that. At least I plugged the cartridge in an turned on the computer, with no crash. Some faulty cartridges can cause crashes, so at least it wasn't obviously broken in that sense. Anyway, I'll get back once I've tried it out properly.

Last edited by frantic (Jun 8, 2020 7:57 pm)

UK

Sure, theres no rush

If it's too much trouble to bother let me know

Thanks

Alright. I'll let you know when I've had the chance to pick up a diskdrive and try it out.

I finally got hold of the diskdrive and tried the interface, and I couldn't get it to work. The software I used was M64, and it has options for Sequential, DATEL, and Passport compatible interfaces. None of them seemed to work, although I could verify that M64 itself works great with another interface (that I use myself, so I'm not selling that one). There ARE other interfaces though, so it is possible that the one that I have is of yet another kind. A number of other interfaces are listed in the source code for SID Wizard, and all of them use the same type of chip for the MIDI communication, so they are similar in that sense. They just use different memory addresses.

https://sourceforge.net/p/sid-wizard/co … DI-C64.asm

* SEQUENTIAL/NAMESOFT
* PASSPORT/SYNTECH
* DATEL/SIEL/JMS/C-LAB (double-speed devices)
* MAPLIN
* MOOG SONG PRODUCER

So I guess it is possible that the interface I have actually works, but that it is of the MAPLIN or MOOG type instead. I also just noticed that the author of M64 stated that he was unsure whether DATEL actually worked in M64 even though the program itself says it is supported, so in fact it may be possible that it is of the DATEL type — only that M64 doesn't actually support it. I guess I should try the interface with SidWizard instead, since it seems to have better support for different interfaces, but I haven't used SidWizard for anything so I don't know how it works. It could of course also be the case that this interface is simply broken.

Last edited by frantic (Jun 22, 2020 11:14 am)