BOSTON8BIT, MA

Hey everyone,

I'm sure a lot of you have heard about this game called Minecraft, and may or may not have cared enough to find out what it's all about. Minecraft is a game where you mine resources, and use them to craft things. There are no objectives, no quests, or anything else to direct your activity aside from your own whim. When I first started to hear about the game, I couldn't have been less interested. I felt like without any clear reason behind what you're doing, there was no reason to be doing it in the first place. How wrong I was...

Make custom skins simply by editing the png texture and uploading it to minecraft.net

This game is a near-perfect implementation of emergent gameplay. You're left to decide what to do next: "I'm going to build a house" turns into "I'm going to dig a mine next to my house and find some iron" turns into "I just fell into a naturally existing cave system, I should build/place some torches and check this place out". The best analogy I can make is that it's like playing with digital legos, with an entire world constructed out of blocks that can be mined/collected/placed wherever you'd like. The crafting system allows you to arrange these resources into different combinations to create tools, decorations, and other items to help make the world your own.

Crafting is amazingly simple.

So I definitely sound like a salesman right now, but that's the reason why this game has been coming up more and more recently - it sounds mediocre until you hop into the world, punch your first tree for some wood and build a pickaxe. At that point you're either hooked or you're not... but most likely you are.

My tower of fun... all this and more can be yours if you become addicted to Minecraft!

Anyway, here's a thread for people to post stuff they've done in the game, or to hook up to get some multiplayer games going. If you have the full client ($13 one-time, free updates for life!) send me a PM and I'll respond with the boston8bit.com server details. Cheers!

BOSTON

minecrack

astral cat
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

minecrack

hahaha. i'm scared to try it :<

Melbourne, Australia

Pfffff, I was playing it back when it was only building stuff with a few types of blocks, none of these "resources" and "crafting" stuff.

BOSTON8BIT, MA
TmTgr wrote:

Pfffff, I was playing it back when it was only building stuff with a few types of blocks, none of these "resources" and "crafting" stuff.

In before mine tracks!

Edit:

BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

minecrack

Last edited by Active Knowledge (Sep 24, 2010 5:09 am)

Brooklyn, NY

Yeah, too bad it's an indie game and isn't making any money...

OH WAIT

http://motherboard.tv/2010/9/23/indie-w … 0k-per-day

Tokyo, Japan

world of warcraft was my crack for a while. I think i'd better stay clear of this, too.

South Dakota

This game is awesome. Dig a little bit and BAM deep and long running caverns to explore. Not to mention the massive topside area to run around in.
Need... more... torches...

Spent hours making my base to only find 5 fucking creepers at my "stair junction" )':

South Dakota
Flopps wrote:

Spent hours making my base to only find 5 fucking creepers at my "stair junction" )':

LOL oh you poor bastard! sad

Sweden

I bought it for my brother, and I've been playing the free version with friends occasionally. I'd love to play more, but it's really slow on my PC.

hardcore, Australia

My friends set up a server where i build giant dicks everywhere on their masterfully built villages.

I found out later they were all cheating to get materials, while i was mining for it all.

Melbourne
godinpants wrote:

My friends set up a server where i build giant dicks everywhere on their masterfully built villages.

I found out later they were all cheating to get materials, while i was mining for it all.

This is too awesome for words. The honest dick builder in a world of corrupt villages.

hardcore, Australia

I prefer the term "cocksmith"

UK

Washington DC

Instructions:

1.) Click play
2.) Wait for the 25 second mark
3.) Shit your pants.
4.) Repeat step 3