Hello, I am currently making a project where I am using an arduino as a midi device and am going to wire in a gameboy with it enclosed in the device and use CC commands to control everything.  I was looking into some powering options and trying to decide how to go about power distribution, I know the DMG technically uses 6v but it sounds like it can run off of 5v, and the GBP seems to use 3v and most people I have been reading about are fine with 3.7v powering.  I figured I would jump over to the community as I know there are many people here with a lot of specific information on this.  Essentially the arduino nano I am using appears to run at 5v, I was hoping to use a 3.7v lipo  to power everything but after finding out the arduino needs 5v I was wondering what suggestions people may have for a singular power option.  I have a spare DMG and GBP that both have broken screens I can use so really whatever battery/gameboy combo works best I am okay with.

Ultimately I wanted to confirm some of these values I was reading and see what people suggest, thank you in advance!

London, UK

you can get 5v from the link port (it's sometimes tricky to get a link cable connected to it properly, but you can always mod one...)

I have an arduinoboy that is powered this way, so you could use this to power the nano.
I think you can just use a step up converter to get from the lipo to 5v (but maybe do some googling as to one that is suitable to use with the lipo?).

London, UK

also, I'm reasonably sure (hopefully someone can confirm for 100%) the 6v from the psu/batteries is regulated down to 5v anyway?

This is probably useful - and says the Pocket steps up the 3v from the batteries to 5v internally which I think probably suggests the gameboy architecture is based on 5v too...

https://handheldlegend.com/blogs/news/v … s-a-primer

Last edited by Duck (Jul 30, 2020 10:33 am)

Duck wrote:

you can get 5v from the link port (it's sometimes tricky to get a link cable connected to it properly, but you can always mod one...)

I have an arduinoboy that is powered this way, so you could use this to power the nano.
I think you can just use a step up converter to get from the lipo to 5v (but maybe do some googling as to one that is suitable to use with the lipo?).

Even though I knew most of what was in that article it was a good read, thanks for the input!  I realized now that I forgot I am using 2 arduinos since one is my arduinoboy and the other is my own for the midi (I'm not proficient enough in programming  enough to combine the two lol).  That being said, I looked into some options and one easy method that may work for me is I found a powered USB hub I could plug into a batter or power bank and distribute power to each with a simple usb.  Figured i would share to see if anyone had thoughts on that method, also is it more efficient to downvolt or up? Because I could get a 9v and downvolt  it.  Logic feels like lowering the energy would be easier than boosting.