PDX, PDX

I have the opportunity to pick up a Commodore 64 or 128.  I was wondering if the extra processing power of the 128 matters in making music, especially when booted up in 64 mode.  I have an unused MSSIAH that I am super excited to start using, I just want to pick my tools wisely.

New York City

You can't use anything extra on the C128 (only extras are memory and a new VIC and the VDC for 80 column display, oh and a lame 2Mhz mode) for music making, and not in C64 mode. So it doesn't make much of a difference. It has some compatibility problems, just very few. And it's far bigger.

Some of them have an 8580 though, but most have a 6581.

I'd get a C64 unless it's an 8580 C128.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 27, 2010 7:18 pm)

CHIPTUNE

C128 is cool. The babes prefer C64 though. It seems like the SID-chips of the C128 often get semi-destroyed and make amazing noises though. So, babes or noise. It's your call.

England

The PSU on the 128 is known to be more reliable than that of the C64.

Some people use connector-modified 128 PSUs on C64s because of this.

BK
InactiveX wrote:

The PSU on the 128 is known to be more reliable than that of the C64.

Some people use connector-modified 128 PSUs on C64s because of this.

Yep, when i had a C64 i used a modded 128 power supply and it worked like a charm.

Sweden

I would get a C128 simply because it's such a Frankenstein's Computer. Does the C64 run CP/M? That's right.

New York City

I loved CP/M, I remember booting it frequently just to get that terminal/DOS feeling big_smile

boomlinde wrote:

Does the C64 run CP/M? That's right.

Bot natively, but it can:
http://www.devili.iki.fi/Computers/Commodore/C64/CPM/
(albeit shittily, since the cart was horible ;D)

Last edited by akira^8GB (Sep 28, 2010 5:56 pm)

Los Angeles

I think there is a better chance of getting a 6581 Rev.4 on a 128 than on a c64, unless its a C64C. The C64c has a better chance of coming with an 8580 too!