Spokompton

Has anyone had luck using a DC power supply with their DMG? If so, what amperage? Is there any extra hum or noise or any other undesirable effects?

I rifled through all my spare PSUs this weekend and came up empty for the DMG, though I did find one for my miniKP! So I'm wondering what the chipmusic.org consensus is before I shell out for a new one.

BK

well, there's ones made specifically for the game boy that also have battery packs in-line. That is to say, you can use it plugged into the wall, or charge the pack and then detach the wall portion of the cable and leave the pack plugged into the DMG for extra power on the go.  Those are relatively easy to find on eBay and will probably be cheaper than a power supply you'd find at say, radio shack.
That said, the sound does get a little noisier when plugged into the wall. So it's a tradeoff.

Spokompton

Ah, I was aware of that battery pack but I didn't realize you could also plug it into the wall while using the DMG. Makes sense. Cool, I will look for one of those. Thanks!

I've tried hooking up a DMG to a cheap DC power supply. Worked fine but much more prefer to mobility of having it battery powered. Consider getting some rechargeable batteries, it's well worth it.

BK
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

Consider getting some rechargeable batteries, it's well worth it.

Definitely. I've been using mine for a year now and I've saved so much money by just recharging.

i made a bad ass 1.5 amp power supply that makes sure the gameboy has all the power it needs. i was thinking of making a bench power supply from an old computer power supply and putting a few gameboy plugs on that

Spokompton
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

Consider getting some rechargeable batteries, it's well worth it.

I bought a couple dozen rechargeable batteries over the last couple of years but I seem to have lost most of them in my most recent move. I only have barely enough rechargeables for a spare set when the ones in the DMG die. It irritates me a little more every time that happens. I should probably scrounge the boxes a little harder or buy some more. But I still want a PSU option for when I don't feel like dealing with unreliable batteries.

NeX wrote:

i made a bad ass 1.5 amp power supply that makes sure the gameboy has all the power it needs. i was thinking of making a bench power supply from an old computer power supply and putting a few gameboy plugs on that

yikes Wow that's a lot of juice for a little brick.

Tacoma WA

to fancy for batteries now

eh pretty boy

Unsubscribe

its bee so long but doesnt the psu make it sound like shit?

England

yeah I get crazy massif central hum and buzz.

herr_prof wrote:

its bee so long but doesnt the psu make it sound like shit?

I didn't get any hum with using a $15 radio shack'ish one. I've heard about people getting it though.

Missouri

I get an odd hum when I use my wall wart for my DMG. So I don't. I just buy batteries in bulk from a local pro audio place. I pay like 13 cents on the battery. I'd rather have a fresh pair than deal with flakey rechargables myself.

Rad_Gravity wrote:

I'd rather have a fresh pair than deal with flakey rechargables myself.

Never ever experienced any flakeyness with my rechargable batteries. Most of my batteries are 2700mAh which gives me a good amount of lsdj time.

Sweeeeeeden

Why haven't I replied here yet? tongue

Any voltage in the range 5-7 V DC will work fine. The trick is to find one with the right size that is also DC and center negative. If you find a plug of the right size, you can always repurpose it with a suitable transformer.

The hum is annoying but ultimately harmless. Unless you're recording and want a clean sound, of course.

Again, I haven't experienced any hum. Maybe the hum is a grounding issue of your household electricity..?

Missouri
tRasH cAn maN wrote:
Rad_Gravity wrote:

I'd rather have a fresh pair than deal with flakey rechargables myself.

Never ever experienced any flakeyness with my rechargable batteries. Most of my batteries are 2700mAh which gives me a good amount of lsdj time.

I've done pro audio for years as a profession, this is just a preference. I've had a rough time with rechargables in mics and such.