Philadelphia

I'm hoping there is an easy solution for this - I recently picked up a C64 and I'm happy to say it's in great, working and cosmetic condition. I picked up Mssiah, a MIDI-to-USB cable and even a small screen to navigate to MIDI mode when starting things up.

However, when I began adding parts into a composition that uses a NES and GB, I found that the pitch on the C64 is way off - like two or three full steps off. I can bend the pitch in my DAW to compensate but does anyone know if this is a hardware issue or an issue with how the Mssiah sends data to the SID? It's definitely possible that the Messiah doesn't send pitch data the same way as my other systems but it would be very weird if a 'C' note on the C64 isn't programmed to match true 'C' musically speaking.

I know a lot of people use the C64 on its own but does anyone who uses it in conjunction with any other systems (or instruments for that matter) have this issue? And if so, what is the fix? Do I need to dial in some settings in the Mssiah interface to correct this? I've heard that SID chips can go out of tune as they age but everything I've read suggests it's semitones, not multiple steps out of tune.

Not sure but could it be a PAL vs NTSC issue?

Glasgow, Scotland.

I had the same issue with MSSIAH:

https://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/1768 … t-of-tune/

For future people, I have checked tuning on Cynthcart 2.0 and Sidwizard 1.8 on a pal C64 and they seem correct and can play along with other gear. I will post again when I can test MSSIAH

Unsubscribe

doesnt mssiah have a menu setting for pal?

or was it a special version? Im old and can't remeber

Czech Republic

It should. Prophet64 have it in Menu/Settings/System.

Unsubscribe

Open up the AUDIO menu and check the NTSC option.
When active, the Sequencer application adjusts its internal timers as
well as the frequency scale.
If you are running a C64 built for the PAL system, leave the NTSC
option unchecked.

Check the other manuls looks likes it supported in the features for each program

Last edited by herr_prof (Apr 18, 2022 6:00 pm)

Got the Mssiah cart today and seems in tune to me, PAL C64, with mssiah set to PAL (default)