Unsubscribe

i find doubling sequenced stuff doesnt sound as good as guitar stuff,, cause its too close to the og.. its the variation in playing between takes what makes guitars sound fatter...

BK

would there be a way to put in some sort of extremely short variable delay? like, some notes play a hair early, some play a hair late to "humanize" the doubled line? i know putting an equal delay on all notes would just sound like a chorus pedal, but if you could change the value on each note maybe it'd work?

Kris k wrote:

i know putting an equal delay on all notes would just sound like a chorus pedal, but if you could change the value on each note maybe it'd work?

Actually, a chorus works by altering the speed of the delayed signal. (giyf as you kindly advised in another recent thread wink )
Another trick of making a fake double take is called flanger. This is basically the effect of having two reel-to-reels slide in and out of sync and was, to my knowledge, invented in the Abby road studios since John Lennon didn't like to do double takes on his vocals.

Today's massive powers in effects processing in terms of DSP and VST have enabled more sophisticated ways of emulating double takes. They are all still based on delay and phasing though. Hence, nothing sounds quite authentic.

New York, New York

How about combining an extremely short variable delay on one NES, then connecting a practice amp to each NES, and miking each practice amp?

Milwaukee, WI

Nullsleep and Hally can do sync'd DJing now!

philly
herr_prof wrote:

i find doubling sequenced stuff doesnt sound as good as guitar stuff,, cause its too close to the og.. its the variation in playing between takes what makes guitars sound fatter...

I think there's enough room for changing a doubled voice to make it worth it/ fatter. You could play around with differing amounts of vibrato, detuning a voice, making them not perfectly in time with each other, giving them drastically different envelopes. That can give you plenty of variation!

Last edited by bucky (Oct 1, 2010 11:30 pm)

BK
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

(giyf as you kindly advised in another recent thread wink

ahhh you got me haha. fair enough. thanks for the clarification though.

Jessup, Maryland
Batsly Adams wrote:

I took a break from FaMI to try out something new.

I've coded up 2 different NSF playing roms (modified versions of the amazing vegaplay - thanks to NO CARRIER) - one is a master that sends a "sync" signal and one is a slave that does nothing but wait for the rising edge of that signal. Based on the way I'm running the sync it should be impossible for them to fall out of time. Right now I'm using an Arduino as a clock source (which is overkill, you can use something like a 555 timer) in place of a "master" NES but you get the picture.

I'll look into the LSDJ sync some more next.

Derp?

Melbourne, Australia
Piksel Blue wrote:
Batsly Adams wrote:

I took a break from FaMI to try out something new...

Derp?

What is wrong with you, stupid troll.

Unsubscribe
bucky wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

I think there's enough room for changing a doubled voice to make it worth it/ fatter. You could play around with differing amounts of vibrato, detuning a voice, making them not perfectly in time with each other, giving them drastically different envelopes. That can give you plenty of variation!

thats not as simple as merely doubling it big_smile

Neo Jersey

i was actually thinking about this the other day and wondering if it'd be possible. esp the nes-lsdj sync. keep at it!

killadelphia
Theta_Frost wrote:

Nullsleep and Hally can do sync'd DJing now!

i'd like to see this.

Milwaukee, WI

I know they DJ between their Famicoms but just play it by ear not a real master slave in software relationship.  I'd like to see this too!

rochester, ny
Batsly Adams wrote:

I don't have 2 powerpaks to test out the real deal right now, but would anyone be interested in this type of thing (before I work on it more)?

i just got my second powerpak if you want me to help test this out.

Matthew Joseph Payne

I also have two powerpaks and would be down for testing.

Also, NESserial. :3

Dallas, Texas

Oh my goodness that is perfect for what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm trying to mobilize my dual NES setup. Currently I use two midines carts but I would love to just be able to cart switch and do some proper NES DJ'ing. Any chance you've released this version on Vegaplay for download?