Yuma, AZ

Here's a question for someone with more experience than myself.
I just got done with the base-coat for a dmg, and am having some texture issues. I have never painted plastic before, typically i stick to canvas/masonry. I am using Ironlak, and I've never had it come out anything but silky smooth in the past.
This time, however, it have this super-fine sandpapery texture.
It's an even texture, so it's not from spatter or dirt or anything of that nature. Anyone else ever had this issue?
Should I just give it a quick clear-coat at the end?

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

i have always used paints that are specifically made for plastics. the plastic almost seems to absorb the paint. sorry i dont have a solution for you.

Philly, PA, USA

it's probably just from the texture of the plastic itself, it's not perfectly smooth plastic,

either way, painting DMGs always ends in the paint just scratching off, in my experience anyway

Yuma, AZ
xero wrote:

i have always used paints that are specifically made for plastics. the plastic almost seems to absorb the paint. sorry i dont have a solution for you.

Hmm... alrighty! Thanks just the same!
I'm gonna finish is up when my buttons come in (today?) And I'll post some pictures.

Thanks again.

Matthew Joseph Payne

+1 on the plastics paint. Somewhere around here Thretris talks about Krylon x-metals, which is a great example of a paint that soaks right into the gameboy.

my result:

definitely textured, but no more than the gameboy was before. No sign of chipping yet.

california

Will flat black spray paint work on a game boy case? I'm pretty sure I've painted plastic with that before..

Matthew Joseph Payne

Has more to do with the type of paint than the color of the paint. The issue is how the chemicals in the paint bond with the plastic.

Massachusetts

Hate to necro this, but I remember a few years back Nonfinite using vinyl dye on all of his DMG cases. He's since taken that video tutorial down, though. That always seemed to make his work turn out like the actual work from Nintendo.