Hi,

I plan to buy a Commodore sx64, but I saw that there is no audio out jack.
Do you know if there is a way to hack it? it might be possible but I didn't find tutorial and I am a n00b with electronic soldering stuff.

Thanks!

New York City

I did. It's super easy. But getting into the SX-64 is not a task for the faint of heart.
You just need to tap into the cable of the in-built speaker. You can either keep the speaker or cancel it and just put an audio jack.
SX-64's are made of metal so the only place you can make a hole for such a mod is on the top plastic part.

I will just remind you that ding this will destroy the collector's value of the machine, so if you wanna sell it later, it will be worth a lot less. To be honest there's no advantage to having an SX-64 over a breadbin setup.

New York City

Check out all the collecting haters cursing on me at the comments space for doing the following mod:

he he he!

hahaha I already saw this video, didn't know it was from you.
Thanks for your answer.

Last edited by odea (Oct 4, 2010 5:17 pm)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

I got an sx64 that i want to hack some day. Problem is there's some issues with the motherboard... *breaks out logic probe*
but i will someday get to it. the plan...
Beef up the supply (downsize/update), PS1 screen, and anything else i can think of.. Now if my SammichSID dominates.. then i'll just sell off the sx64 as
i dont want to mess around w/ old hardware much anymore. lol

Last edited by low-gain (Oct 4, 2010 5:18 pm)

Los Angeles

Just use the c64/128 - 5 or 9 pin audio/video output cable for a RCA line...search ebay smile

New York City
low-gain wrote:

Beef up the supply (downsize/update)

In my list too, actually the plan is to replace the whole back platter.

PS1 screen

VERY BAD plan, it actually doesn't fit properly, as you can see, I tried tongue
I recommend you another screen. The round motherboard fucks shit up. Unless you are in for a major, MAJOR motherboard cut and rewiring of the cut lines.... sheesh, not worth the effort if you can buy an aptly shaped (ie square) 5" screen.

8bitweapon wrote:

Just use the c64/128 - 5 or 9 pin audio/video output cable for a RCA line...search ebay smile

That too, you can use that cable, the internal video will not be disabled if you plug this cable to it. And it has an audio plug. This is the 'safe", non-modding way.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Oct 4, 2010 6:49 pm)

8bitweapon wrote:

That I suppose:

OK great, so I will just need a monitor with RCA video input.
Thanks!

But well ... I lost the "portable" advantage of the sx64.

Last edited by odea (Oct 5, 2010 11:30 am)

New York City
odea wrote:

OK great, so I will just need a monitor with RCA video input.
Thanks!

But well ... I lost the "portable" advantage of the sx64.

No, he means for using the audio output of that port.
As I said, case you didn't read, even if you plug this cable, your internal monitor WILL STILL WORK.

I am not 100% sure if that specific cable you show works, because the SX-64's video pot is 8-pin like the C128. I have a C-128 cable. Also, the cable you show, is a Y/C/Audio cable for a 1084 or similar Chroma/Luma capable monitor. Still, it will give you the audio output smile

oh god I read "will be disabled" instead of " will not be disabled" sorry smile
Thanks for the informations I will continue my quest!