thieveland ohio

Found an old Mac Classic. Any ideas on some good software for it? Trackers, synths, bleep bleep making apps?

New York City

Classic is 68000 only, unless it's a Classic II (68030).
It's quite slow. Even the Classic II I used to have couldn't run a MOD player properly.

You could use Cubase though. Pretty useless without a MIDI interface and MIDI devices to control, butu if you have both, it's rock solid (serial MIDI interfaces for the win).

Last edited by akira^8GB (Oct 19, 2010 10:43 pm)

Minneapolis

Ooooooo fun! The old 68k Macs are fun little machines to play around with, even though it honestly sucks as far as music making. The Mac Classic is even worse for audio than the Apple IIgs, being forced back to 8 bit mono pseudo-wavetable synthesis (driven by the CPU IIRC) from the "inferior" IIgs' 16 bit Esoniq wavetable synthesis with 32 channels.

However, I find the charm of the machines to be less in making music and more in other things, like the early software titles for games and productivity. But then, I am a big retro computing nut. big_smile

PARIS

As Akira said, if you find a midi interface, you'll have a great rock solid midi sequencer using Cubase or Performer (Digital Performer ancestor smile) A bit like using an old 1040 ST for sequencing.

New York City
arfink wrote:

However, I find the charm of the machines to be less in making music and more in other things, like the early software titles for games and productivity. But then, I am a big retro computing nut. big_smile

Same here, I usually wasted hours on MacPaint on my little Classic II.
It also made a cute mini table replacement ;P

Planet Zaxxon

But you can put the Flying Toasters screen saver on it? CUZ THATS ALL THAT MATTERS.