Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Just asking this question for a friend actually (I've never found a need for a MIDI controller with a tracker).

So, I'm wondering if DOS Box has any support for MIDI-over-USB devices.  He's got an Oxygen controller that he wants to use with FT2 but he's running it within DOS Box, will DOS Box be able to interpret the MIDI data and send it to FT2?

The other question he has is this:  What midi hardware is available (recommended) for use in an actual DOS era tracking PC?

Last edited by jefftheworld (Oct 20, 2010 6:17 am)

UK

Pretty sure you'd need a soundcard with dos-era midi in ...

Why not just use Milkytracker ( http://www.milkytracker.org ) which is a very nice FT2 clone that supports MIDI for Windows / Mac / Linux etc :-) ?

Chicago IL

i don't know a lot about that kind of thing, i'd just recommend getting a cheapo old ass laptop on ebay for like 20 bucks shipped

Sweden

No MIDI in with DOSBox yet, by the looks of it: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph … tid=467235.

Planet Zaxxon

Yea it would be way easier to buy a cheapy laptop, and run some dos midi devices.... you can get the midiman units (now known as m-audio) in paralell or serial for DOS. So just make sure the laptop has those ports. I picked up a midiman portman for about $8 on ebay.

Brunswick, GA USA

If you have a ISA-era full-size PC, an SB's joystick port doubles as a midi in and out if you have the breakout cable.

Planet Zaxxon

I've been meaning to try that out one of these days... hmmmm. I wish I knew more about dos and midi devices...

Spokompton
chunter wrote:

If you have a ISA-era full-size PC, an SB's joystick port doubles as a midi in and out if you have the breakout cable.

I couldn't get this working in FT2 or IT with an SBLive. Record wasn't working either.

Planet Zaxxon

SBlive is PCI though right?

Spokompton

yeah, maybe that's the problem.

Planet Zaxxon

I bet you can get it working through win98 ...Im guessing there are drivers out there somewhere. But im not sure how well FT2 or IT runs through windows to begin with.

As soon as I finish building this other computer with win98 and awe64, Im gonna try and mess with all that midi and sync stuff

Last edited by O2star (Oct 20, 2010 4:38 pm)

Spokompton

oh I was running it from DOS 7.1. everything else was working fine (edit: besides MIDI & line in recording)

Last edited by undergroundclouds (Oct 20, 2010 4:59 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

i used to use the cable with AWE64, but I had a windows driver for it, the dos ones are meant for SB16's or older

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the quick response, folks.  My friend actually found a MIDI in patch for  DOS Box and says he doesn't mind that it's a little flakey.

And to answer ne7's question, I just prefer FT2 to milkytracker.  I've been using it since I first started highschool, so it's what I'm used to.

UK

yea FT2 is lovely...

- oh might be worth posting the patch link for peeps smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph … tid=467234

It's in beta, I believe, so support might be spotty.