Yuma, AZ

Alright so in my cheapness, I went to the toy store looking for cheap speakers. Was planning on buying like a cheap set designed for mp3 players of what have you, the little $10 sets you see all the time.
I happened across a little cardboard box "amp" for the paper guitar things. ("Paper Jamz")
It's kinda goofy looking - but rocks. The best part of the whole thing? It weighs literally ounces. Super portable, and only $12.
Has a 1/8" input and since it's cardboard, im not worried about the dings and scratches you know?

Long story short, anyone else gotten their hands on any good unsuspecting speakers?

Edmonton, Canada

i bought an "amp" from this guy on kijiji. $50
guy was an idiot and it turns out it was a speaker for a PA system big_smile

Scotland

You able to record some sound/video of it? I use the Roland Micro Cube. I've found anything smaller is a bit of a push.

Massachusetts, USA

I got the PaperJamz amp too, but was a little disappointed in it's lack of volume.  Felt like a sucker for days.  Now it's in my office on a bookshelf, and it works very nicely for playing music while I am working on brainless tasks.

theAutomation, are there volume controls on the amp itself that I don't know about?

Yuma, AZ
sammulligan wrote:

theAutomation, are there volume controls on the amp itself that I don't know about?

Not that I have found, no. I agree with you on the lack of volume part, thought i was VERY suprised by the sound quality!
And I'll grab a quick video of it for you Edward. I'll throw it up here later.
I had looked at the micro cube. I had a "Hodad" for a while. That was pretty neat. lol

Tacoma WA

i have a micro cube i bought off craigslist for 40$.
i'm pretty happy with it.  i'm still looking for another one so i can have stereo as panning is cool.

one thing i liked about the micro cube is that the stupid little handle is removable and the post that it fit on are the same size as a guitar strap.
carrying it around with a guitar strap is so much nicer.

Chicago, IL USA

You can buy kits to make pocket amps for like 5$. Requires some soldering but allows you to make an amp out of almost any speaker you can find. They sell them at my school in the music department. Literally in a giant vending machine (the kits not finished) Mine looks like this:

There are two holes behind the output jack to wire in a speaker. Just go to a thrift store. Buy a speaker in a box for like 2-3$ (you can find great old ones in wood boxes for super cheap) and BLAMO amazing DIY amp that only needs a 9v battery.

Yuma, AZ

Just bought a Fender Tone Master Mini. Seriously awesome! Great tone (i guess hence the name, lol) and LOUD LOUD LOUD!
Check it out! Will post a vid this week after some use. smile

Godzilladelph
NOM STAR wrote:

You can buy kits to make pocket amps for like 5$. Requires some soldering but allows you to make an amp out of almost any speaker you can find. They sell them at my school in the music department. Literally in a giant vending machine (the kits not finished) Mine looks like this:

There are two holes behind the output jack to wire in a speaker. Just go to a thrift store. Buy a speaker in a box for like 2-3$ (you can find great old ones in wood boxes for super cheap) and BLAMO amazing DIY amp that only needs a 9v battery.

your school is pretty ballin
sure beats looking up amp schematics on the internet and scraping around my room for parts

Milan, Italy

thumbs up for the micro cube. I've used it for a lot of time (until i fried the cone with mah gameboy ultra basses).
But I've just bought an year ago his bigger brother and it's totally worth the money! (140€ new on ebay)
It's just like the microcube, but with more than twice the volume and very much cleaner sound.

Now I'm cool like Johnny DeMarco.