Massachusetts

Hey guys, I've commissioned my first DMG to be built, but the only thing I'm hung up on is which pro-sound output to get.

I've looked around a bit here and haven't found anything that would help me go either way on the matter.

If I did miss a pros/cons thread, please direct me to it!

BK

Really a matter of personal taste- the 1/8" is what most people use if im not mistaken.  I don't think there's much of a difference besides what cable you'd end up using to connect to a mixer. The 1/8" also looks less obvious when you look at the game boy, the RCA is bigger so it changes the form factor a little more.

matt's mind

ultimately it doesn't matter much since you can get adapter cables...  you could also get both and have a switch, but that'd be ridiculous tongue

most people get RCA jacks if they use Korg equipment, which has RCA ins/outs, or they want to run the gameboy into the tape input on a mixer.

the 1/8" jack is more adaptable i think.  and takes up less space.

functionally they are the same.

Unsubscribe

Ill say this, with ipods the 1/8th is much easier to get than even a few years ago... but rcas are everywhere

rochester, ny

i feel like the 8th inch cable is more secure and harder to pull out than the RCA, which makes it better for live shows.

Geneva, NY

If you're playing a show with other chip musicians and your cable is fucked or at home, you have a MUCH better chance of getting a 1/8" cable from one of them.

Philly, PA, USA

I have one of each actually, the 1/8th inch goes post-volume pot, for headphone use, and the RCA goes pre-volume for recording etc.

Massachusetts
pixls wrote:

I have one of each actually, the 1/8th inch goes post-volume pot, for headphone use, and the RCA goes pre-volume for recording etc.

If that's the case, wouldn't that make a 1/8'' pro-sound mod pointless?

BK
mountainhead wrote:
pixls wrote:

If that's the case, wouldn't that make a 1/8'' pro-sound mod pointless?

to be honest, i would just use the standard headphone jack on the game boy - prosounding makes it harder to use headphones in a loud environment. You could have a second 1/8" jack for prosounded out in addition to the RCA and the standard jack, that might work well.

Massachusetts

Well my idea was to simply add a second 1/8th jack wired to the pro-sound and leave the original heaphone out for just that.

Tacoma WA

RCA is for DJ's 

blah

BK
mountainhead wrote:

Well my idea was to simply add a second 1/8th jack wired to the pro-sound and leave the original heaphone out for just that.

that's actually what i do with some of mine. not a bad plan, and it doesn't look as obtrusive as the RCA jacks do.

Chicago IL
nickmaynard wrote:

i feel like the 8th inch cable is more secure and harder to pull out than the RCA, which makes it better for live shows.

this has to be some kind of a typo

Massachusetts

@Kris k
Would I get any signal loss from the original headphone port if I have a secondary 1/8'' pro-sound jack installed?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The one funtional difference I've found is that the RCA connections fit tighter and so are less likely to come loose during a performance, if you move around a lot.  Also, being on the top of the Game Boy, they get in the way less if you have big hands like me.

rochester, ny
Saskrotch wrote:
nickmaynard wrote:

this has to be some kind of a typo

i have an rca gameboy and a 1/8th inch gameboy and the rca cables have pulled out so many more times than the 1/8th inch cable. just speaking from my personal experience.