New Bedford, MA

Hey guys I'm trying to figure out how to get in depth with using tables, I've got the basics of LSDJ down but I can't find any good tutorials for using the different abilities of tables, can anyone help with that?

))<>((

I find trial and error is the best way. Just set an instrument to use a table, push play, and start playing around with adding commands and whatnot to the table.

can you think of something, even if vague, that you would want to accomplish with tables? Then maybe someone could post something.  It helps to be a little more specific. 

What have you done so far? 

Have you tried using tables in conjunction with noise instruments to create a snare sound, for example?

Or have you tried arpeggiation or pulse width modulation?

the last two paragraphs on this page discuss using tables win lsdj, have you seen it already?

Last edited by Battle Lava (Oct 30, 2010 10:17 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

I made a thread somewhere on 16step PWM which is a little clunky but a fun way to use table.

Scotland

Interesting arps, pulsewidths alternating and panning are good places to start.

Whitley Bay, England

Changing the pulsewidth constantly makes a lovely dirty(ish) sound - great for pulse channel bass! big_smile
Otherwise, I only really use tables if I want each note on an instrument to play the same arp or whatever.

Just like with anything else in sound design, your best results are either going to come from:

1. Experimentation and re-use of cool ideas you've found.
2. Knowing what you want something to sound like and using your knowledge of your software/hardware to achieve it.

Once you're familiar with the behavior of each of the commands in LSDJ, either one of these steps should be a breeze (usually).

New Bedford, MA
Battle Lava wrote:

can you think of something, even if vague, that you would want to accomplish with tables? Then maybe someone could post something.  It helps to be a little more specific. 

Have you tried using tables in conjunction with noise instruments to create a snare sound, for example?

the last two paragraphs on this page discuss using tables win lsdj, have you seen it already?

I haven't really done anything with tables yet, I've been using trial and error with it but it still doesnt help much cus I like to know what it means when I'm doing it. Is there anywhere that I could see a description of each setting? like V- volume etc.

Something I'd want to accomplish would be making a sound that starts from a high pitch then drops to a low pitch if that makes sense

508-bit wrote:
Battle Lava wrote:

I haven't really done anything with tables yet, I've been using trial and error with it but it still doesnt help much cus I like to know what it means when I'm doing it. Is there anywhere that I could see a description of each setting? like V- volume etc.

Something I'd want to accomplish would be making a sound that starts from a high pitch then drops to a low pitch if that makes sense

You would want to use the L or P command for something like that.

To see basic command information within LSDJ, go to the project screen > help > command list. You can also set a command and doubletap A to make a brief description of the command scroll across the top of the screen.

New Bedford, MA
PlainFlavored wrote:

You would want to use the L or P command for something like that.

To see basic command information within LSDJ, go to the project screen > help > command list. You can also set a command and doubletap A to make a brief description of the command scroll across the top of the screen.

ok thanks

EDIT: Theres no help option on the project screen

Last edited by 508-bit (Oct 31, 2010 3:02 am)

Whoa, you must be using an old version of LSDJ then. In that case, you can check out your version's manual here:

http://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/latest/documentation/

New Bedford, MA

im on 3.7.4, isn't that the newest?

))<>((

lolno. 4.0.5 is the latest.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The easiest way to think of tables is a way of animating your various parameters.  Want the volume to modulate?  Want to add a complex arpeggio?

Look at the instrument parameters that you already know about and then imagine how you would make them interesting over time.  Adding a G (groove) setting will allow you to adjust the speed that the table plays at.  So if you add a G01 (since 00 is the default table and you probably don't want to change that) and set your groove as just "4" then you'll get a table that plays much slower than the default tables play at.

Czech republic

Another use of table is to simulate delay effects with the R comand. For example RD0.
Connecting tables together is also useful - you put A02 at the end of A01 and vice versa. It gives you twice more table time which might be useful for example with the delay thing...
And many many more...

Tokyo, Japan

There is an awesome documentary from Animal Style on LSDJ covering loads of tricks in tables recorded at 8 static but I am failing at finding it