I just fitted one of the RGBva kits from Kitsch and it's working a treat! However, now the start, select, A & B buttons are not functioning.

Does anyone know why this may be?

matt's mind

yo, i replied to your disqus post...

but, to post here...  its more than likely the screws are just too tight around the buttons.  if not that, the only other way i can think the buttons could be messed up would be if the ribbon cable holding the two halves together was stressed or broken somehow.

Aha! Thanks for the advice =]

I reckon it might be the ribbon cable as the nut holding the RGB circuit board at one side is pressed firmly against the cable.. I guess I could try taking the nut out completely and see what happens.

Will give this a go tonight and let you know how I get on!

Thanks again.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Actually, I've noticed that even a small short may cause your buttons to function incorrectly or not at all.

Make sure that nothing is causing any sort of shorting across either of the main boards.

What causes a short? Only just got into this soldering malarky so not up to speed entirely yet.

Wellington, New Zealand

Same thing happened with me.
The d-pad and the select button were really loose, A and start were too tight to press, and select felt normal

When I first screwed the thing back together the B button felt a bit stiff but it's not an original one and had never been installed before. The moulding was a bit ragged round one of the edges so I trimmed it a little with Stanley and reassembled the unit and it seemed much better. Perhaps I screwed it in a little differently but not sure about that.

Gonna have another go at the consarned thing the now and I'll let ye all know what happens!

Pure worried it's yon ribbon cable jenny!

Checked all the suggestion and buttons still not working.. Ribbon cable looks damaged. Think it must be that =[

What I don't understand though, how can u fit the RGB circuit board in that tiny gap without applying pressure to the ribbon? It seems impossible..

matt's mind

pressure to the ribbon wouldn't cause it.

a tear where the ribbon meets the pcb would.  prolly done when taking the polarization film off...

Ah, Could be =[ I guess that's pretty terminal.

Another one bites the dust gents. I'll be more careful next time.

Oh yes, there will be a next time. I am not put off.

Shame for that unit though. Can u reap many spares?

matt's mind

!!! it may not be trashed....

ribbon cables and all that jazz are ultimately applied in the manufacturing process with heat in some form, and you can try to replicate this and repair it.

same idea as fixing vertical lines in a dmg screen...

so, if you feel comfortable (not much to lose, right) check it out and with your soldering iron see if you can reapply any places that may have lifted up.

and, if you are successful, please post and let us know smile

Well ur right, not much to lose!! Haha, I'll have a look and see what I can achieve!

Thanks =]