SLC, UT

I ordered this off eBay a while ago, but I noticed that the case seemed to be an official nintendo product, but I can't find any information about it. I suspect that it could be a case given with a refurbished product, does anyone know if Nintendo sold refurb gameboys?

Anyway, here's some pictures:

Front, with everything:

Rear:

Seal:

Inside:

As you can see here, it holds three cased games, 4 AA batteries, manuals as well as the two white plastic risers on the right side that elevate the DMG so there is room for the manuals. Because of these risers, you cannot store the DMG with a game in it. Also note that the serial number on the back of the case matches that of the one on the DMG. Original purchase date! That's just neat.

So I don't know if this is well known, but I certainly couldn't find anything about it. Anyone know anything about this?

Brooklyn NY US

I think these were the cases the Play It Loud series of DMGs were sold in.

Westfield, NJ

I have two Gameboys that I've bought this way, with these cases. I don't know anything about them either. They were listed as "near mint in box" and this was the box... I'd love to know the story behind these boxes too.

SLC, UT

Really, just clear like that? Well now I feel like quite the fool!

Edit: Beat me to it. Yeah mine was in mint condition too, like as mint as they come without being sealed. I doubt anyone ever played this. It was listed as a red Game Boy color......so yeah not a lot of bids on this one. Such a good deal though.

Last edited by stargazer (Nov 11, 2010 5:08 am)

Westfield, NJ

Oh you know what? I just found classic images on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002 … mp;seller=

So Bit Shifter is correct... all Play It Loud models were sold in these clear cases (unlike in Japan where they came in cool cardboard boxes). And these cases USED to have paper inserts... which means that the ones I've bought are not quite as "near mint" as the auctions stated :[

SLC, UT

Nice find! I didn't even think that it would come in a case like this. I thought that the play it loud era DMG's came in a box, but I guess I didn't really look into it.

Chicago IL

the case was inside the box

Yuma, AZ

OMG that was my first gameboy case. the amazing christmas memories i'm having right now.... Bonk's Adventure.... *drool*

Wellington, New Zealand

I got one of them when I got one of my dmgs. They are pretty crappy cases, as you can't have a cartridge in the gameboy's slot when putting it in the case. Also, I didn't know what that compartment is for, now i know its for batteries smile My case came with a bunch of manuals and a cool poster/ad that I blu-tacked to my wall (Now you're playing with power! Snes and Gameboy ads)

Unsubscribe

I remeber staring at these through the security window at toys  us.. mememroriesss.

SLC, UT

Yeah I'm trying to think of when I got my first DMG.......lets see, I was born in 91, we were poor so I probably got one when I was 4 or 5 so it must have been like 95 or 96. Does anyone know when the play it loud's were released? I'm trying to figure out why my parents didn't get me one of those instead of the grey one because my brother already had one of those. But yeah, I was so stoked you don't even know. I still have that puppy too, it's all scratched, the speaker is blown, and half the screw posts inside are broken so the screws don't stay in but I still use it all the time.

wait wait waaaaaaiiit a minute..

Is that a PINK DMG? or is your camera a bit weird...

SLC, UT

It's pretty red....the red tablecloth doesn't help the fact that my camera isn't that great. There's no such thing as a pink DMG is there?

D D D Detroit, not the burbs
herr_prof wrote:

I remeber staring at these through the security window at toys  us.. mememroriesss.

oh shit the toys r us flaps where you could look at the picture of the game but to buy one you had to bring the tag up, el oh el

Unsubscribe

no no, the big locked room where the stuff would actually be!

Westfield, NJ
stargazer wrote:

Yeah I'm trying to think of when I got my first DMG.......lets see, I was born in 91, we were poor so I probably got one when I was 4 or 5 so it must have been like 95 or 96. Does anyone know when the play it loud's were released? I'm trying to figure out why my parents didn't get me one of those instead of the grey one because my brother already had one of those. But yeah, I was so stoked you don't even know. I still have that puppy too, it's all scratched, the speaker is blown, and half the screw posts inside are broken so the screws don't stay in but I still use it all the time.

I buy classic consoles as a way of reliving my childhood... or in the case of the Ice Blue Gameboy Pocket, to experience things I missed out on when I was a kid.